1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

BP hunting...load suggestions

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by dgray64, Mar 27, 2008.

1. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

Hi, I'm just getting started with BP. I've been shooting semi-autos and hunting with rifle and shotguns for seems like a hundred years, but now I've got the BP bug. I just bought a CVA inline .50 cal. from Cabela's. Now I need to figure out the right round (sabot) to go with it for deer. Cabela's offers sabots from 180gr to 300gr. What do you hunters use? Thanks for the info.

Dave :)
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  3. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Excellent question as to load, hard to answer! I would say that the Hornady Sabots are good, TC sabots are good, I shoot PowerBelts in my Encore but they have mixed results (good for some people and otehrs not so good) Personally I would find a good sabout in the 225 to 300 grain range keeping in mind the heavier the bullet the less the distance they will be as accurate in many cases. A lot depends on how far you expect to shoot as well, optics, and many more variables. Here is a good idea of a 100 yeard shot. A saboted bullet of 250 grains, 100 grains of propellent (pellets or loose), and your primer. IF shooting pellets, buy a box of 50/30s and a box of 50/50s because you can work up a load from there that should do you a good job. Also expermit with dabots and weights of bullets. Main thing is keep in mind this, what load works for me and my gun probably will not work for you and yours. Work up a load that gives you good consistant groups at ranges you expect to be shooting at while deer hunting on average. that is all you can do. Playing around will tell you a lot more than all teh advise you will get on forums. You can kille deer with teh 185 grain saboted bullets a well as any weuight between that and the 300 weight saboted bullets IMHO.
  4. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

Thanks JJmitchell60. That was good info. I really needed a range of bullets and loads to work with. I guess you caught the part about it being a .50 caliber. I'll know more about it Tuesday when it gets here. I've aready bought some balls, some patches, some saboted rounds, some BP and some pellets (50gr). I'll try to know the heck out of my targets and have fun too. It's a CVA Wolf break open inline 209 so I guess I won't have a lot of problem cleaning it.

I hadn't thought, I wonder if it's legal to carry a .44 BP revolver as a back up when hunting? It will be on my own land but you never know. I'll do a report after Tuesday.

Dave :)