BP Shotshell Reloading

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by The Duke, Dec 23, 2011.

1. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Need a few thoughts on reloading black powder shotshells...

I will prob shoot 25-50 per month in SASS comp...Black Dawge Goex 12g are running about $23 per box plus shipping...

I order my black powder 10#s at a time to cut the haz-mat a bit...No across the counter sales within reasonable driving range...But got to have it anyway for BPC, dont like the sissy substitues at all...No stink, flame or smoke :) like real thang.....

1. What grade of BP is used in light target loads and approximate grains per shot? Weigh or Dip?

2. Is gearing up to reload a limited quanity like I intend on shooting worth the price or bother...

3. Ive reloaded shotshell many years ago, but for smokeless only...Can you use a regular shotshell reloading machine...MEC or some other brand...or must it be special BP rated..

4. Would buying some 12g brass be better than plastic hulls both cost wise and ease of reloading...Can the plastics be reloaded again after being fired with BP or trashed? Any special handling of plastic cases after firing with BP?

5. Wads? Can you use the same wads as smokeless or special for BP?

Pros and cons solicited and appreciated. :D Im kicking this though around in my head for now...
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I use my Load all 2 for it. Use the same charge bushing and wads as for my greendot field loads. Simple as swapping powder and goin shootn. The BP loads dont make as much velocity but they smoke like hell and stink good.

Again I just tinkered with it. I aint no BP pro by any means and I wont ever shoot it in a rifle ever again.
  3. 243winxb

243winxb New Member

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  4. 243winxb

243winxb New Member

Use the mec, but Measure the powder by hand with a dipper & add to the case.