1. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Braised Beaver

Skin and clean a young beaver, removing the kernels from the small of the back and under each foreleg between the ribs and shoulders. Hang it outdoors for several chilly nights.

When ready to cook, parboil the beaver in salted water for 1 hour and drain. Brush with oil and braise in a Dutch oven until the meat is tender. Serve on a heated platter, garnished with water cress.

Note: Once the animal is ready for the pot, muskrat, woodchuck, beaver, and raccoon may be cooked in the same various ways.

Roast Beaver Michigan

Disjoint an 8- to 10-pound beaver and remove all the surface fat. Cover the meat with a solution of 1 quart water and 1 tablespoon baking soda and parboil it for 10 minutes. Drain the meat, cover it with strips of bacon and onion rings, and roast it in a moderate oven (350° F.) until it is well done. Season the roast with salt and pepper to taste.
  2. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Not gonna even touch on this with a ten foot pole.
  3. I's still waiting for the fricasseed pole cat recipe, Jackson. I know it must be just around the corner. :D;)
  4. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Pistol I surely would imagine that some one out there has a Pole Cat recipe. Man has cooked and eaten just about anything that lived in during his short occupation of the planet.
  5. Yes, but I understand Ron's recipe is extra special . . . it leaves the scent glands in for extra flavor and auroma! :eek::D;):p
  6. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Scent glands can be left in if you stuff the abdominal cavity with Ramps. If you have never eaten ramps you have no idea what it is you are missing.
  7. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Ever fire roast the tail? haven't had beaver since grandma passed away, They were protected here for awhile, just like the silvergreys.
  8. Angryisme

Angryisme New Member

soo what are ramps?

what aam I missing?
  9. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Wild leaks, like onions, only milder with a hint of garlic.
  10. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Bugs taste better.
  11. Angryisme

Angryisme New Member

never heard of em..
    where do ya get em?
    don't think I've ever seen that ina store in jersey.....
  12. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

ramps grow wild in the mountains of West Virginia and are harvested early to mid spring. By now the ramps are probably past harvest time. They are very good when fried with potatoes or trout.