Brand Loyalty or Mix and Match?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by EODGunner, Oct 14, 2008.

1. EODGunner

EODGunner New Member

Hello Everyone,

I read the other post about the new to reloading (which I am) but I have to wonder. Is reloading like other hobbys/equipment where if you stick with one brand things will work better? Should I stick with a brand, or should I mix and match?

One of my buddies is teaching me how to reload and says that it's best to just go with mix and match. I do trust his opinion, but he is honest and he has only been reloading a short time. The person who taught him is the opposite, and goes by name brand.

If I should stick with one brand (knowing that all parts I buy would work together) what brands are trust worthy? which ones should I over look?

If anyone is wondering which calibers I am going to be reloading...

6.8mm SPC, .30-06 WIN, .45 ACP, .40 S&W, .308 NATO/7.62x51, 9mm, 7.62x39, and possibly more once I get back to buy more guns (5.56mm NATO/.223, .357 MAG, .44 MAG are the ones I am thinking of)

Thanks for your help.

EODGunner
  2. knothead

knothead New Member

mix & match. there are way too many quality accessories out there to limit yourself to just one brand. just be careful not to fall into the gizmo trap. read and think about your needs before you buy. enjoy.
  3. EODGunner

EODGunner New Member

i can appreciate that, do you think it's better to start off with every caliber that I own, or just start off with one or two?

Does anyone have a complete list of everything... everything I would need to reload and re-make my own brass? i do not want to make my own bullet heads.

Thanks for the advice.

EODGunner
  4. RodneyJ

RodneyJ New Member

In case you don't know yet reloading is a sickness. You can start with one caliber but I promise before long you will be wanting to load others. As far as equipment the first thing you need to get are a few good manuals and read them several times before before you start. They will cover all the equipment that you must have plus things that you don't have to have but will make the job easier. When you do start I would say mix and match that is one of the reasons for reloading so that you can customize what works best for you and your Fire arm.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

EODgunner:

Here's a few words of advice for reloading:

Don't trust anyone to "show" you how to reload without reading (multiple times) a reloading manual. The Hornady manual is particularly good as it includes illustrations on how cartridges work in guns and what the various steps of reloading are doing.

Don't trust anyone's advice on reloading until you find it in writing in a manual. Reloading if done wrong can be detrimental to you and/or your gun. Get the straight info from a manual, follow the directions there, and ask here for any questions the reading may generate.

I know, it is really easy to just get someone to teach you but there are way too many pitfalls in reloading cartridges that can become safety issues. So read, read, and re-read the manuals. Get more than one! and read it too! Become an informed reloader, not an accident waiting to happen.

As for equipment, don't buy anything until you comprehend reloading completely. Good brands are RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, Redding, Forester, and particularly Dillon for progressive reloading. Lee is just OK and some of their stuff is laughable at best and not very durable, usually. Like anything else you get what you pay for...cheap is cheap.

LDBennett
  6. EODGunner

EODGunner New Member

Thanks for all of the advice. Is amazon the best place to buy these reloading books at? I am currently in a rough place to get material, but I can receive mail.

I have read some of the hornidty book, and thats what got me interested in doing it, as well as the fact that a lot of my ammo is just so darn expensive.

I appreciate all the advice you guys have given me. Hopefully, when I get home in a couple months I'll be ready to buy my first items to start reloading!

Thanks again

EODGunner
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

EODGunner:

Amazon is good but you might try a search for 'best price" on the title of the book. Amazon often offers used books but with reloading manuals you want the latest version to cover all the latest powders. In the last few years there have been a bunch of new powders whereas before that it seemd like it was the same old ones.

LDBennett
  8. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I mix and match myself depending on costs of the supplies... I have taken to specific brands over others but thats just because my results with said brand was better. Or the cost difference out weights the shooting benefit of brand a to b.

As others have stated your best bet is to read, read, and re-read. Never assume and always check and double check when you first get started.
  9. knothead

knothead New Member

thanks for your service, where ever you are!
  10. Shellback

Shellback New Member

My best loads are uniform they are same cases, same powder same primer same bullet,there are many loads I use but it all comes down to repution for me at least some loads may be a different case I my have data that will change, bullet weights are one biggie. Some are better with a different powder that changes my loads even primers will change load data, do you see where I'm going with this? The best way to find this all out is to get familair with it and for now alls you can do is read get it inbeded in your head then start out simple and slow and work up from there.
    Tim
  11. EODGunner

EODGunner New Member

Thanks for your guys' help. I currently have three books en route (though one had to be shipped elsewhere because of shipping laws) but they are en route, and I am anxious to start learning what i need to do, and what I need to start reloading.

What are your opinions on melting and re-shaping brass? Worth the time, or waste of effort?

Thanks

EODGunner