The Firearms Forum banner

BRAND NEW to muzzleloading. HELP!!!!!

3K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  Buffalochip 
#1 ·
I traded a pistol for all this stuff. Hasn't been shot in 15 years. Can anyone shed some light on the quality of this stuff? Is all the stuff that i have still reliable? Safe? T/C hawkin .45 and a plainsman rifle .50.

Attachments

See less See more
#12 ·
bullets ( projectiles ) as a rule dont age , they can oxidize some or get dents that dont make em great to use .. if smooth clean of oxides ( and turps will remove most ) and not dented or squashed go for it do check the sizes eh ..

powder thats a granule type powder there , so it will be good as long as its not broken down into dust , if its still a nice small granule use it

the dust , toss and burn somewhere safe

dust comes from it being shaken too much and broken apart or it getting moist and then redrying and falling apart

dust has a unpredictable burn rate and you should never use it , though some folks do use it for flinters as pan powder

#16 ·
The recommended starting load is the caliber. 45 caliber rifle - 45 grains. 50 caliber rifle - 50 grains. etc. Then you work up to what you like.

For my 50 caliber Renegade, with a round ball, my hunting load is 90 grains of 2F, and my target load is 45 grains. Just to give you an example.

#17 ·
You've got some stuff there that don't belong. 4th picture. The 440 round ball is for a 45 rifle. The 490 round ball is for a 50 rifle. But the 454 round ball is for a 44 revolver. It's too big for your 45 and too small for your 50.

#19 ·
Yeah, Pyrodex RS is Rifle and Shotgun. Equivalent to FF. Pyrodex P is Pistol. Equivalent to FFF. You could use it for the 45. I don't know as I'd use it in the 50.

#21 ·
good score, I have the same T/C hawken in .50 (and flintlock), it's taken plenty of deer. Overall, a good shooting gun. for .50, 70gns equivalent of FFF behind a .490 patched round ball is the standard target/practice load. I also use about 90gns for hunting.

Clean 'em up and you got some fun BP rifles to play with!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.