Brand X and it's mentality?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jjmitchell60, Jan 12, 2005.

1. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    I read where the Admin. at Brand X stated that their "main" concerns were the auction servers and the forum servers are different as well as a secondary concern so to speak. Now I do not know about others but I for one would browse the forums then do some looking at the auctions. The auctions WERE not MY main concern. Am I the only one who did that or did others do taht as well? It is logical that if you have a good forum along with the auction site, you are gooing to get more people looking at the auctions when the visit the forums and ar able to ask questions about items on the auctions throught the forum. Why would I want to l;ook at the auctions and have to go to another site to ask questions about something I saw on Brand X auction. Heven knows that if you e-mail most, not all, but most of the sellers on Brand X auctions, they will not respond. Maybe it is me but if the forum stays down at Brand X then I bet they will see the auction site loose a good bit of interest as well IMHO. Do not get me wrong, I like it here but it was nice to se a certain auction then easily go to the forum and ask members their ideas of that auction. Oh well maybe I just got up on the wrong side of the bed today but there again the ol lady told me that is most days during the winter.
  2. drobs

drobs New Member

Speaking of auction forums, Auction Arms has it's own forum too.
  3. Pipskicks

Pipskicks New Member

I feel the same way, I never bought on anything that was being auctioned because I could not find better gun "accessories" there than at Ebay, and I can not get a gun until I find another FFL :mad:
  4. Chorkie

Chorkie New Member

I bought and sold there ONLY BECAUSE of the forums. I spent time there learning and laughing and sometimes getting PO'd (ie:NPTBM and Babybear :mad: ) But I did my buying and selling there because of the forums.
  5. Mateomasfeo

Mateomasfeo New Member

I browsed the auctions for months b4 I ever discovered the FORUM.

I understand what they are saying, but I probably wouldn't have stated it like they did however...
  6. rjjrwi

rjjrwi New Member

JJ I have to agree with you! the biggest reason I stay on GB is because of the forums , i do buy and sell on GB but, most of my buying or selling is done on AA

AA does have forums but they don't seem to be as good as the ones on GB
  7. geezler

geezler New Member

I will agree to that! I don't buy and sell much anymore but i can go else where for my business.

To me it was like saying that the forum people were second class to the auctioneers and buyers.
    [which in most cases were the same people!]
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2005
  8. Shadow62

Shadow62 New Member

Hey chorkie
    Hey geezler
  9. AlleninAlaska

AlleninAlaska New Member

I only use the GB forums for chit chatting. I run all my auctions over at Auction Arms.
  10. Pipskicks

Pipskicks New Member

If they ran their auctions like they ran their forums, and they ran their forums like they ran their auctions-they probably wouldn't be able to keep the same forums as they have now....

I love the forums, and I don't care for the auctions as much, but GB is making all their money off the auctions, and they are only able to run the forums because of the auctions (note: the forum server comes from the old auction server) so I totally understand their reasoning.
    But I do agree it was kind of harsh, they did seem to give the impression that they did not care much for the forums and therefore did not spend much time on them...
  11. gbeggrow

gbeggrow New Member

I also browsed the auctions for months before I discovered the forum. I for one enjoy being able to look through all the auctions and learn about different firearms (even though some of the descriptions are terrible).

It's a "complete package" IMO.
  12. geezler

geezler New Member

Since I don't know snot about servers I guess I will have to go to GB and fix the damn thing for them :rolleyes:
  13. JamesRK

JamesRK New Member

I think the problem is they need a bigger hammer. ;)
  14. Dave W.

Dave W. New Member

Like it or not they are a company, they want to make money. In there crazy little skeem to turn a profit they were more concerned about the auction side of the house, I understand. However I did send GB admin an email telling them my auction user name, and I also told them I would not return to the auctions until the forums were back. I also said that there were probably many people who felt the same way as me.

Dave
  15. whiteclouder

whiteclouder New Member

As a business, they will check their bottom line at the end of the month and IF it shows a significant decline that corresponds to the forums being down, they will fix the forums. If the loss in profits is NOT there---well, get used to TFF.

Clouder..
  16. Bigtire

Bigtire New Member

I don't take offense, The auction side is where they make their money. The forums are just a service (Free by the way) that they provide for members.

The auctions are their bread and butter. It all comes down to priorities.

Why work on the garage when you have to keep the car running?
  17. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Why have a garage if you have no car? What I was trying to get across is many such as I use the forum to discuss questions about items on the auctions that we plan on bidding on. Let's face it, there are some that post mostly on Brand X "Experts Forum" that really know their stuff when it comes to certain items. Many have helped me find items that were hard to find as well as answer some question about some items I was thinking of bidding on. As to being free, TFF is TOTALLY free yet they do their best (and a dang good job of it by the way) to keep it all up and running. I have been here a while my self thanks to 358, well before Brand X went down all the time! I like the general discussion here better but as to the auction site, I also like the ask the experts forum for asking about auction items. Oh well, I have only one bid on Brand X auction left, was going to run it till I bought it, but not now. Maybe that is just my mentality but so be it.
    Not necessarily, the buyers and sellers pay for it IMHO.
  18. sharpshooter040

sharpshooter040 New Member

the auction side is now doing over a million a month in sales.I know most in the forums also used the auction side but there are hundreds more who only use the auction side just look at the user names.it is a business and I do understand keeping the auction side the top priority,witout it there would be no free forums.if i owned a site doing over $1,000,000 a month in sales I would make sure it stayed up and I think you would do the same
  19. FrancF

FrancF New Member

I just feel bad for the good members that got left out of the loop, that don't know about TFF.