1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Brass Cleaners

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dons2346, Nov 23, 2011.

1. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thinking about buying a brass cleaner. Should I get a tumbler or a vibrator?
  2. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Most reloaders use vibratories because they're so much faster at getting the job done.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Vibratory is the most cost effective and common. Nothing against tumblers though, they work very well too. Thumbler has been around for many years with great durable products.

I've used ultrasonics too and for 99% of the time, Vibratory is the way to go. Ultrasonics are nice if you want perfectly clean brass and have the time; they're much slower than either a tumbler or vibe.
  4. noylj

noylj Member

I've had a vibratory cleaner. Now I have a tumbler. Much happier.
    20/40 grit corn for 30 minutes is all you need.
  5. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

With an ultrasonic, what median is used?
  6. bobpayne44

bobpayne44 New Member

i have almost quit using my vibrating as its alot faster with my hornady magnum cleaner i use the hornady solution 1 ounce to 40 ounces of water

i clean about 300 9mm in 8 minutes and can clean about 1200 or so without changing water.
  7. bobpayne44

bobpayne44 New Member

dont see how that is true, i can put 1000 9mm in my lyman magnum and 4 hours later they still need a little cleaning on some and the insides dont get all that clean

I can throw about 300 9mm in my hornady magnum sonic cleaner and 8 minutes later they are clean inside and out and if i have deprimed them first the primer pockets are as clean as new, sure you gotta let them dry out but i usually get all my brass prepped at one time and may not load for a week or so but if im in a hurry i can put all the sonic cleaned brass on a cookie sheet in the oven on about 250 for 15 - 20 minutes let them cool and crank them out..

so lets do the math

1000 in 4 hours with walnut in a tumbler

or 300 at a time for 8 minutes so 1000 would be 32 minutes + 20 minutes in oven so in 52 minutes start to finish cleaning im loading.
  8. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Thumblers model B here, and I'll never go back! Tumble in tapwater, dishsoap, and stainless pins for 3 hours and you have factory new brass in and out. No poking media out of flashholes, no media dust and particles gumming up dies and equipment (especially progressives) no need to buy media ever again and most of all NO CHEMICALS. Initial cost is more but its clean, quiet, fast and produces perfect results every time. See here and seriously consider if it is affordable to you... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-6SOiWE8Hc
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  9. noylj

noylj Member

If I put cases in brass cleaning solution, the cases are pretty clean after 12 hours. If I put cases in the ultrasonic with the solution, I have clean cases after an hour (except there are always a few cases that are still dirty on the inside).
    If I put the cases in 20/40 corn for 30 minutes, the outside is perfectly shiny and the inside is black but clean.
    It all depends how much time and effort you feel like expending.