brass cleaning

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by thunderchild223, Mar 29, 2012.

1. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I used the same tumbler as Todd for years. I bought a Lyman vibratory cleaner about 15 years ago. When the Lyman broke, I took out the Thumbler's and continued on until I replaced the base/motor on the Lyman. I gave the Thumbler's to my neighbor about 5 years ago and as far as I know, it is still going after close to 40 years.

As far as the media getting into the flash hole - to get rid of that problem, just vibrate BEFORE you resize/deprime!!
  2. Orin

Orin Member

Try adding a small amount of Brasso to your cob-crumbs. It dissapears, creates no mess, lasts a long time & you get bright brass with no scratching.
  3. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I have tumbeled 223 and a lot of them. I never have a problem with them clogging.

Are you adding a liquid polish to the media then adding the cases?

If I need to add polish I add what I need then run the tumbler for 30 to 45 minutes before adding any brass to it.
  4. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

harbor freight just had the thumbler on sale about 3 wks oag. they carry both the single drum and dual drum!
  5. RockinRiley

RockinRiley New Member

I have the harbor freight ultrasonic with hornady ultrasonic cleaner and am a very happy camper. I just did quite a few the other day. I really like knowing that no lead will be in the air for my kids. I did inspection right after and if there were any yuck in the pockets it was easy to pick out without damaging the pocket at all. Very happy with ultrasonic. The harbor freight model only will run 8 minutes at a time though. When I do a large number of brass it usually takes about 3 times running each basket. So it does take a long time. I hear the more expensive ones will let you run for longer. The basket on HF model also does not really have handles.

This is what I bought. I got it for a lil over 50 bucks (it was on sale and the 20% coupon.)

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html

Cleaner:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/71...ltrasonic-case-cleaning-solution-32-oz-liquid

Oh, I tried the water/vinegar stuff on the internet before the hornady. The hornady is definitely worth the the money! I got corrosion in quite a few even with rinsing. Hornady not any corrosion and very clean!

oh, I only do 9mm.

Good luck with your decision.
  6. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Well, might not be such a good idea as Brasso contains ammonia which is a no-no for brass cartridge cases. Belt buckles etc. yes; cartridge cases, no. If you're going to use a polishing agent, you're better off going with one of the many safe types made for cartridges. (Thus the reason you won't find Brasso being promoted as a handloading accessory and sold by dealers of handloading supplies as such a product.)
  7. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I use a mix of Lyman polish and nufinish.
  8. Taroman

Taroman New Member

I wash mine with with Bar Keepers Friend.
    Contains a mild acid, no ammonia.
    A couple tablespoons in very hot water.
    Swish the cases around in it for a couple minutes.
    Rinse well.
    Doesn't make the cases shiney new, but clean enough for me:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome to TFF Taroman.
    How do you dry them afterwards? Just let them set for a while and air dry or do you use a hair dryer?
  10. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

probably sticks them in the oven for a little while on low heat
  11. Taroman

Taroman New Member

Thanks, mate.

As for drying, depends on how much of a hurry I am in. Usually not, as I have lots of brass (probably too much - can that be possible?)

After rinsing I shake the cases out well in a plastic colander. Then dump them into a "flour sack" towel ($1 Store). Shake them around real good. That gets most of the moisture out. Summertime, I spread them in the sun. Otherwise, I just dump 'em on another dry towel and spread them out. Overnight is usually enough drying. Wintertime, near a heat outlet helps.

Dried some in the oven once at maybe 200 degrees.
    IIRC, that tended to darken the brass somewhat.
    Not enough heat to soften it, though.
  12. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i use a vibro type cleaner... looks just like a rcs or hornady, except it came from harbor freight, cost half as much.. I use lyman corn cob treated media in it, and sometimes run plain white rice if cleaning up range brass.
  13. zachp

zachp New Member

I use the pet store walnut media, has worked well for me and normally if a kernel gets stuck in the flash hole a good slap on the side of the sifter gets it out. The white rice is a good idea, I will hafta remember that one.
  14. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

I got that idea from an old guy at a gun show just a few weeks back.

he said it doesn't polish as nice as corn cob.. but it's way cheaper.. and t's what he runs his dirty range brass thru first, then hits it with corn cob for a bit to bring out the shine.

I just bought a 25# rice bag from walmart for about 8$ that's like way cheaper than the lyman corn media that is 4-5# per 17$, or the untreated corn cob media for 4#/5$