Brass Jacketed Bullets?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by CampingJosh, May 3, 2011.

1. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

So I'm still just starting out with reloading, and I got in my first order of bullets recently. I ordered these bullets from Graf & Sons. 124 grain FMJ 9mm is a pretty common load, so I figured these would be great to start out on.

But when they arrived, I was a bit surprised. They look a bit more yellow than most jacketed bullets I've seen. The one on the left is it; for reference, I have included a .380 FMJ bullet that I found out at my range after shooting one day (almost certainly an S&B).

Brass and Copper Jackets.JPG

So I'm pretty sure these are brass jackets. With brass being a bit stronger than regular copper jackets, is there anything I be especially careful of or do differently when loading these? I haven't found any mention in my loading manuals yet.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

There is a variety of different materials that can be used for jackets, most common is gilding metal ( copper alloy ). Brass, steel and plain copper can be used also. There are readily available means of using 22mag cases and forming then into jackets.

I'm not sure of with the ammo you bought; why they chose one material over another. A quick call to Corbin may answer your question best. I've been looking at getting a swaging press for awhile, but they're spendy.
  3. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Armscor and Fiocchi bullets are made in the Philippines and they have lead cores with copper jackets. I use both, some people don't like them for whatever reason but I have never had a problem with either.
  4. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

When in doubt, load the first 10 rounds @ 10% less powder, and see how they act.
    I prefer the Remington 124 gr. JHP from Midway. My last 2,000 piece order came to $214 with shipping. I load them with 7.8 gr. of Blue Dot over a Win std. primer for a bit over 1,200 fps. I figure why have anything on hand, esp. if I took the time to reload it, unless it's suitable for defense?
    I've tried the same load with Rem. 124 gr. Golden Sabers, and it's fine. With the Saber bullets, they have a relatively narrow driving band, so the question of material resistance isn't as crucial.
    If it's decent range ammo you're looking for, I'd give these a nod:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=1050301345
    I've loaded them with 7.1 gr. of Blue Dot for a strong and accurate goofing off load.
    Here's the 124 gr. JHP that I prefer:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=1601153259
    Currently out of stock, but they do a good job with back orders. For the same price as FMJ, why not load JHP?
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
  5. mikld

mikld Member

Continue on with your plan. Slight differences in components are one of the reasons we begin at the "starting load". Nothing wrong, or to be concerned about with Armscor bullets.