Brass Management?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Lakebilly, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Lakebilly

Lakebilly New Member

I don't expect to ever shoot competition or own hi-end weapons. I would like to know reloading appreciably better than I do, having a good balance of accuracy & economics. Brass management (@ this point) seems to be where I need clarity. What equipment, and what order to get it. I shoot Rem 700 vssf 22-250, & Savage m10 .223. I have others just not focused on them now, only interested in hunting apps.
    I have RCBS dies & and Lee case trimmer. From what I can tell from the forum(s) i read, the Lee collet die, concentricity guages, neck trimming/turning tools (properly used) will give my brass longer life and accuracy appropriate with gun limitations+ load development. I guess what i need to prioritize (& budget 4) is a procedural progression; i.e.,start ; sorting, fireforming, annealing, guaging, trimming, turning,etc. I have read soooo many threads and I can't seem to decide what eq. to get or the procedure as to get optimum life/performance from avg. to hi-end brass. Is it possible to agree on procedure without debating necessity? Is there a publication that covers brass management? Can the "elite" reloaders succinctly describe their step by step approach to brass management. If @ a procedure you have a preference to Eq. brand list it. Thanks for your input. LB
  2. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

The best way I have found to optimize the life of brass is to avoid loading at the top end as high pressure will work the brass. Another option for bolt action rifle shooters is to neck size the brass, this will aid both accuracy and life of the brass.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

This is the best way to make your brass last the longest.

LDBennett

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  4. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Thanks for that post quite interesting.
  5. Lakebilly

Lakebilly New Member

I feel like Mr. Magoo. I have heard of these, I don't see who makes them. thanx. LB