1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Brass moochers

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by RogerWilco99, Apr 20, 2009.

1. RogerWilco99

RogerWilco99 New Member

I went to the gun range on Saturday and fired a bunch of different calibers of stuff. I always clean up my lane area before I shoot and police it afterward to account for all my brass.

Upon getting ready to leave, I found that I did not have any 45LC brass. Even though I had fired over 200 rounds of it. It was then I noticed a guy going around the range picking up brass and throwing back some of it back and putting the rest in a canvas bag. I suspected him of taking my brass.

So, I asked him about it and he got very abusive while stating he could keep what he "foiund". I told him that until I left, all my fired brass was mine and he couldn't have it. If he had it I wanted it back and that I would complain to the range owner who is a friend.

He asked me what I was looking for. I told him it was the 45LC brass. And he said that good brass can bring a good price online that I should pay him for it. He opened his canvas bag which was full of various pistol caliber brass. So, I went to get the manager who told the guy that he did not allow people to take any brass but from their own lane.

When he asked the guy what he was shooting and on which lane, the guy admitted he hadn't been shooting at all. The manager dumped out the guy's bag on the counter, gave him his bag and told him not to come back. I picked out my 45LC brass from the mountain of brass there and left with my other stuff.

I'm wondering if this stealing of brass is going to become more common with the current scarcity of components and prices going up.

I'm really bothered by the almost complete unavailability of primers. But this guy was there just to steal brass to sell online. Has anyone else ever seen that?

I sometimes pickup "strange" brass when I police my lane before shooting. But there's less and less to pickup these days, too. Especially in rifle lanes.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  2. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Brass has become near-and-dear to some shooters, but I've yet to see someone picking it up before the shooter left the range.

Just curious - what gun were you shooting, that the .45 Colt brass was ending up on the ground?
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

>And he said that good brass can bring a good price online that I should pay him for it.<

Shoulda told him, "Absolutely. New brass is 15 dollars a box, you stole 4 boxes from me, that's 60 dollars. I'm calling the cops and getting your butt locked up."

'Tis amazing how some folks don't consider it stealin'.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Don't know about him, but when I shoot my Rossi 92, 45 Colt brass ends up on the ground.
  5. techoca

techoca New Member

I'm just wondering if the idiot didn't notice you had a 45 colt on your person?
  6. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

actually new is more like 18 a box:mad:
  7. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

I was at the range last Saturday also and noticed a guy there with a bucket just helping himself to what ever he could find. Since I was not allowing anything to hit the ground I did not say anything. But if I was shooting something that was ejecting brass to the ground there would have been words.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Words hell!!! There would have been a size 13 boot from a 325 pound man crammed up his hind quarters, And thats only if my gun were empty:mad:. I always ask before picking anything up as I expect the same amount of consideration from others.
  9. RogerWilco99

RogerWilco99 New Member

I was shooting a Marlin 1894 chambered in 45 long colt. When the brass ejects it goes right over my right shoulder onto the ground.

I was wearing a (loaded) Sig P228 as a sidearm with a Sig P226 15 round clip in it. I think he noticed or might have tried something "stupid".

I kind of expected the range master/manager to call the cops. But he recovered what the guy stole (typically abandoned brass belongs to the range) so I guess he figured throwing him out was enough.

From what I've seen, you can't buy 45LC brass right now. Nobody except folks on auction sites seem to have any to sell (and that's all once-fired).

I just realized that there were probably several cops there already. I know several who frequent that range (state and local). One of them might have arrested him if they had caught him at it.

Cheers,
    Bruce
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  10. mark9765

mark9765 New Member

I pulled up to a local public range last week (25 yd to birm and spaces for 20 shooters). I noticed a man and wife at one end picking up brass. There was one other person shooting to the left of me. After I got set up I noticed the guy picking up brass had gone down range digging in the birm for lead. No notice to the shooters just walked down range. I packed up and moved to the 50yd range so I wouldn't be witness to an accident if something bounced wrong. The other shooter move also, thank goodness. YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!
  11. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Same here, Hell I even bring home my rimfire ammo. And I agree with the feller with the size 13 boot. I am the same weight but I got a bigger foot and being 6'2 means I some reach with my foot. I dont tolerate people mouthing off to me and it is just stupid to do it at the range. I carry an airsoft gun just for the grins of it and I would be to inclined to use it.
  12. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Don't know how it works in Tennessee, but here in Florida, that is called "Aggravated Assault" if you point it at me, and "Assault with Intent" if you shoot me. Not to mention the fact that if I shoot you it was self defense ("How was I supposed to know it was a toy? He pointed a gun at me").

That doesn't sound like a really good plan, to me.
  13. copenhagen

copenhagen New Member

The wonders of living in the middle of nowhere USA... My brass gets stolen by squirrels only.
  14. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

AAHHH!!! Life in a rural area. My missed brass gets picket up by the lawn mower.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I gotta agree with Alpo on that matter Big Ugly, I myself wear my .44 mag or my .45 LC to the range. They are my favorite 'open-carry' weapons. But Id be much more willing to cram my boot up the arse of an unarmed man, rather than risk a bogus charge from our very liberal system. Dont want to aggravateldly assault someone, would rather have just a plain ol' assault charge for whippin his thievin behind. Believe me Id make the assault charge worth the trouble;)