1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

brass observations during last prep marathon

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by soundguy, Jun 29, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

sat down for another brass prep marathon on 30-06 rangebrass.

managed to break a decapping pin..

had a mix of regular commercial brass.. and some military with crimp. some of hte crimps were 'normal' and some were out of thios world.. litterally a raised ridge around an annular groove almost. I broke a decapping pin on one of those.. crimp is so hard i pierced a couple primers decapping them. to save decapping pins i took a shell holder and small jewlers screwdriver and just set those 5-10 aside and manuall decapped them on a piece of wood, then ran them back thru to size ( sized just fine )

what's with those huge grooved/ridged crimps?

while sorting my brass actually found 2-3 berdans which promptly went into the recycle box... also managed to find an amm mauser in the mess i picked up.. :)

gonna have to make some more relaoding trays.. ran out of space on this batch. here's a qick pic as i was loading trays...

Attached Files:

2. soundguy

here's a pic of that ridged base brass..

Attached Files:

3. Sherrer1*

Sherrer1* Member

those are some nice trays! need to make some to hold my 40 s&w's.
  4. soundguy

10x11 rows. holds plenty of ammo.

I plan on making at least 1 more high capacity one like that. right now when i do a batch of ammo I am doing 100-300 and run out of them lil plastic trays..
  5. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

Your trays look good, you did a nice job on them.
  6. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Those trays look nice.
  7. mikld

mikld Active Member

Yep, that's one heck of a crimp. Personaly, I have no experience with a military crimp that heavy. Was it all the same headstamp?

BTW, ya got too much brass, terible things happen when ya got too much brass, need to send some to me just to be sure yer safe...
  8. soundguy

i had a mix of regular commercial stuff.. rem and win brass. some generic mil headstamps that had the 'normal' very thin crimped primers.. and then some of these MEGA MONSTER crimps. this is the one that BROKE the decapper on my rcbs die. the next one bent the replacement decapper pin.. I straightened it, and from then on decapped the rest of those manually with a jewlers screwdriver and a tack hammer.. putting them in a shell holder and then ont he bench and tapping them out.

I have never seen such a crimp.. made a deep groove.

I checked.. they are not converted berdan cases either. i have seen a few home converts.