brass or nickel cases

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by kar298, Apr 6, 2004.

1. kar298

kar298 New Member

which type of cases does every one prefer the brass ones or the nickel ones. what is the main differnece between the two. i heard the only difference is the nickel ones are easier to clean is this true?kevin
  2. frosty

frosty New Member

Howdy,

Well from what I understand nickle cases will not last as long when you resize them for reloading. The reason why I have been told is due to the hardness of the nickle case. The cases start off as normal brass cases. A chemical bath allows the nickle to adhere to the brass.

Dont get me wrong I still use them and have not had one problem. You can feel the resistance when you resize them. Some reloaders toss them, I dont. If your reloads are not to hot they will last a long time (many reloadings on the same case).

Again the resizing die will work harder to reshape that case.

Federal brass is very good and the nickle cases from Federal are from their premium line of ammo.

I hope this helps.
  3. orangechief

orangechief New Member

I prefer brass. When cleaned and buffed with 0000 steel wool, I love the classic shine. I have had some problems with nickel cases turning slightly black when soaking them in Birchwood Casey case cleaner. Couldn't buff it out, I have to live with them. I soaked them a little longer than the instructions said, but I have done the same with brass with no problem. Probably my own fault as the cleaner is most likely meant for brass, but it makes the brass look great, even when soaked extra long.

I cannot tell any difference in case life between the two, but my brass cleans up better than the nickel, and since the brass up better for me, I don't use the nickel too much.
  4. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

I like using the Federal nickle cases for my 44 mag reloads. Cartridges made with nickel cases seem to be more accurate. The only reason I can think of is since the case is thicker, it is therefor sitting in the chamber in a better position to be fired. I really don't know if this is correct or not; it's just my guess.

I noticed that they tend to stretch out more than brass cases and need to be trimmed more often. Probably because they are thicker, and when resized, that extra material has to go someplace. This can be a pain; especially if you don't have a good case trimmer.

I have a cheap Hornady case trimmer that does not accurately trim my brass. The harder you push in the lever to rotate the trimming tool, the more gets trimmed. You have to make sure you add the same amount of hand pressure each rotation, each case. Talk about a pain in the butt.

I want to get the Dillon electronic trimmer that attaches to the press. Do any of you have this? How do you like it? If you know of a better trimmer, let me know.
  5. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I tend to toss out more nickle cases due to splitting at the mouth, then brass ones. As far as sizing, or accuracy I have no problems or see any difference.....YMMV
  6. islenos

islenos New Member

I mainly load .308 w/ 155gr HPBT Palma, so my choice in bass is the military Lake City National Match, it's a little thicker so you have to back off the loads by a couple of grains but the brass lasts much longer then the commerical type.
  7. bompa

bompa New Member

I prefer brass as it cleans better also had some 38 super plated stuff that the plating peeled..Pain in the butt to mess with...