1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Brass primer tubes?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by medalguy, Feb 18, 2011.

1. medalguy

medalguy Member

I just bought a lot of primer tubes on evilbay for some Dillon tubes in the lot. There are also some brass tubes, large and small primer size, that I can't ID. Anyone who can help, please do so.

These are about 12 inches long, tapered down the last 1/8 inch or so, and have a crossways hole in one end that looks like it may take a cotter pin to retain primers. Nothing on the other end, except one tube out of 5 has the taper and crossways hole in that end also. The other 4 are pretty squared off on the opposite end with no hole.

I know this isn't a great description, but can anyone tell me what these might fit? Thanks.
  2. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

The Lyman presses have (had?) used brass primer tubes on their presses. Yes that hole is for a retaining pin to be used while filling the tube and inverting it to load the tube into the press.
  3. Waldog

Waldog Member

I have a ancient RCBS A2 press that is about 50 years old and it has brass primer tubes.
  4. medalguy

medalguy Member

Any way to tell which I have? I have no use for them and was going to offer them to someone who could use them but I'd like to know what they fit.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

most likely lymans. I bought a buttload of old reloading equipment that the previous owner breathed lyman like I breathe LEE and it had a set of brass tubes and were exactly as you describe...
  6. medalguy

medalguy Member

Well, thanks. I have a buddy who has a lot of Lyman stuff. I'll see if they fit anything he has.