Brass quality ( Headstamps )

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by AR guy, Mar 7, 2013.

1. AR guy

AR guy Member

As I'm going thru the shells I just got for 9mm. I'm seeing a lot of different Headstamps. I got winchester, FC, PMC, PPU, Blazer, Speer, SRP, GFL, WCC. Now out of those I got so far is there a big quality difference between them or are they the same. I wanted to sort the brass and keep the better brass for hollow points and the lesser for lead bullets. I just don't know which is better than the other. So in you opinion is there a difference?
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You got Federal Cartridge, Pansun Metallic Cartridge (also sold as El Dorado), Prvi Partisan, CCI Blazer, CCI Speer, don't know what SRP is (although SBP is Seller and Bellot - Prague), Fiocchi (don't know why "GFL", but that's who they are) and Western Cartridge Company.

All good brands (as long as the Blazer is the brass ones - not the aluminum ones). I don't see any reason to sort the way you are talking.

If you ever get any called A-MERC, throw it in the trash.
  3. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

GFL = Giulio Fiocchi, Lecco, Italy
  4. X Ring

X Ring Member

5. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I load more 6.8 than any other round. I have SSA & Hornady brass, bought new, have reloaded 5-6 times. I like the SSA brass over the Hornaday; everything goes better with the SSA. I don't know enough concerning brass other than visual defects that you can see. I've heard other people prefer the SSA brass too. I'm just trying to figure out why I like the SSA so much more?
  6. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I would not sort them in fact I never sort them. As far as accuracy all the different brass mixed together is still going to shoot better then most shooters can off hand anyway. That's just me. I load and go and don't like to stop and sort.
  7. AR guy

AR guy Member

Ok great that saves a lot of hassle. Thanks.
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Don't use any CBC brass.

I got some bargain 50BMG CBC new brass that was so thin that when processed it had zero neck tension on the bullet. Replacing it with Lake City once fired Military brass solved the neck tension problem. It was not the dies or the bullet as all measured correctly. The CBC (Brazilian, I believe) brass was definitely too thin in the walls.

LDBennett
  9. north tex

north tex Member

I've had some 9mm FC brass that appeared to be the same headstamp but the lettering depth was shallower. When loading them and spot checking the loaded weights I found that the shallow headstamp ones were 5 to 7 grains heavier than the others. Some heavy ones got broken down and I found the powder weight was okay. I then weighed the brass and that's when I discovered the ones with the shallow headstamp were an average 6 grains heavier. Same company, but apparently the brass came from a different supplier. So now I look for that particular headstamp 'cause 5+ grains is a big difference in a 9mm.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I use CBC brass all the time. Pistol and shotgun. I don't have any rifle, and certainly no 50 BMG. Never any problems with the stuff I have.

I have found that Federal 32 ACP is crap to load, as is any nickel 32 ACP. Comes up with a large bulge. Haven't had that problem with any other 32 case, or any other caliber case, period, so I have to presume it is that brand. I have, however, no problems with other Federal brass. Just the 32.
  11. AR guy

AR guy Member

I found a lot of CBC brass in my second half.
  12. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

about the only 1x fired brass I ever had an issue with was hornady.

I had some ancient greek i had to retire.. but it had many many loads on it.. ( rifle )
  13. LDBennett

The 30-06 CMP sells for Garands is Greek. I reload but my son-in-law does not. He gives me all his empties. I have reloaded some of it and it is really good stuff. It is boxer primed, non-corrosive, so the brass just needs normal processing.

I bought a 1000 once fired 308 Lake City brass that was also excellent. It processed just like my own fired brass, no problem.

When I buy new brass it is either Remington (usual for rifle) and Winchester (usually for pistol) but it what my supplier stocks. In a recent magazine test of brass between American brass, and European brass, there was no significant difference in the life of the brass. Paying extra for European brass may not be justified (??) but you decide for yourself. I am perfectly happy with my choices.

LDBennett
  14. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

CBC is MagTech and in .32's, 38's and 45's, I've never had an issue. On a side ote, I use alot of MagTech primers and haven't had a single issue with them either.
  15. LDBennett

I bought 50 new CBC cases for 50BMG at nearly a buck apiece. That's $50 CBC got from me for cases that I can not use. They have some salvage value as brass but not nearly what I have in them. I'll not let CBC get me again. They are on my "Do Not Use" list of manufactures.

What is it about Brazilian products? There is Taurus, and Rossi guns that I bought only to be frustrated and disappointed. They are on that same list.

LDBennett