Brass Wand Report

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by The Duke, Oct 5, 2011.

1. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Got one of these gizzmos from Dillon last week...Tested it last Saturday and found it works pretty good, but not perfect. I believe my old way of the 'hand operated grasping thing' (sorry, no pic, forgot) works well enough and a lot cheaper than the $44.95 Brass Wand...

The Brass Wand worked well enough, rolling along so to speak, with smaller pistol bullets...Here are some .38spls I dumped..

With a little pressure, I was able to get most of them without bending over...OUCH..the back...

[​IMG]

Course, it picked up some ground clutter along with the brass..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found using a 'pogo-stick' motion..up and down rather than rolling was more effective picking up single brass and the ONLY way to go with large caliber rifle stuff...I tried .308 and .45-70...forget rolling with these bad boys...But turning the tool lengthways to the big cartridges and 'Pogoing" worked quite well..

[​IMG]

Although the long forceps grabber I normaly use is slower, but more selective in what I pick up...Plus only $16+tax at local hardware store...

After all is said and done...I will use the Brass Wand because I bought it...But will continue using my grabber also...
  2. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

We use them at our local range, out here in the desert with a hard ground they work extremely well. Excellent purchase!
  3. garydude

garydude Member

Great review Duke! Thanks for sharing. Our local range has so many steel cases laying around I doubt that device would be much benefit to me.
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Nice review Duke!
    Sounds like it might be a neat addition to my kit.
    I usually have a brass catcher set up for my own shooting but I always spend a bit of time policing the public range I sometimes use when I'm done. Too many other users don't and the clutter just gets ugly after a while.

After you've rolled up a batch of empty brass, just drag one of those big magnets they use for sweeping up nails at construction sites through the empties. the steel ones sort themselves pretty good that way...but you do have to pick them off the magnet though.
  5. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

It does look like it would be effective.
  6. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Looks like a pecan picking tool. Only differance is there are a few more wires and it's more oblong. They have one that would probably work that looks like you bent a slinky over and wleded it to a rod. to dump, you just invert it over a bucket.
  7. raysmithson1

raysmithson1 Member

Except for the cost.. it is a good deal,, saves the back, you must be careful , it will get messed up on some persons inability to understand the workings of it,,,meaning it gets out of shape with hard use....