1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Brass Will Not Accept Primer

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Over The Hill, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Over The Hill

Over The Hill New Member

I'm loading 9MM Luger. I have once fired brass from several manufacturers. Using Lee Turret press. Fairly new at loading but I have had no problems except with this one brand of brass. It has "WCC 09" on it. The dimensions are the same (within tolerance) as the other brands. The problem is that I cannot get a new primer to seat. This happened several times with different pieces of brass of that brand. Seems the pocket is too small and I'm hesitant to push too hard on the primer seating stroke. Don't want to blow myself up. Also, there are a few pieces marked "WCC 07" with the same dimensions.

What have I got here? I did some research but cannot ID this brass myself.

I don't think its "operator error" because this is the only brand that does not work. Everything else is fine.

I am enjoying this new hobby - lots to learn!
  2. mikld

mikld Active Member

Possibly military brass that needs the primer crimp removed. I use a simple 60 degree counter sink. A couple twists to remove the crimp and they are good to go. Some folks here will recommend primer pocket reamers, cleaning tools, or pocket swagers. I like to keep it simple and just champher the primer pocket to get rid of the crimp.
  3. Over The Hill

Over The Hill New Member

Thanks for that, mikld. I had not considered the possibility of military brass. I think for now I'll just stay away from it. Maybe play with it after I get more experience under my belt. A couple of times in the process the primer and brass lodged in the shell holder because the primer was partially seated. I was concerned I might set off the primer trying to dislodge it. I finally pushed the primer out with the de-primer on the turret. I was VERY gentle with this!
  4. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

I run across that with some of the .223 brass, but use the RCBS pocket reamer and that takes care of it. You are right it is alot of fun.
  5. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

WCC 07 is military brass and will have a crimped primer pocket that will need to be removed on the first reloading . You can swag it or ream it out.
  6. medalguy

medalguy Member

OTH, how much of that brass do you have? I load a lot of mil brass and if there's enough to make mailing it worthwhile, I will trade you even for commercial brass once-fired. I don't mind swaging out the primer pockets-- I do probably 5K a month anyhow. Let me know if I can help.
  7. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Over The Hill

+1 o the mil brass also you may find similar issues with brass from S&B usually you can pick it out by the red sealant around the primer. This stuff goes in the trash as well as WCC brass as I find it. The headache vs availability of 9mm brass (and so many without crimped primers) just doesn't justify that much time investment to me. Everyone has a different take on reloading but 9mm has to be one of the most economical and certainly not worth a struggle over a primer!

You are making the right move as a new reloader to stay away from it - a safe one! Good job.
  8. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

yeah even have .45acp, and commercial .223 with crimps, irritating to say the least...

I use the RCBS mouth camfering tool to open em up
  9. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

Same here. Except I have a tub that all my trash brass and trimmings go into.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

WCC stands for Western Cartridge Co. out of East Alton Il. ond 09 is the year it was manufactured. ALL military headstamp ammo is labaled this way and ALL military headstamp ammo has a rather hard crimp on the primer. My preferred method of crimp removal is with a standard casemouth deburr tool. Plus its a tool that comes with all reloading kits and is probably on the desk of every reloader already.
  11. Over The Hill

Over The Hill New Member

Thanks for the offer to trade out. I don't think I have enough to make a trade worthwhile.. I have not gone through all of the brass yet, but so far I have about 50 cases. Assuming the same ratio of military to commercial, I should end up with another 50 or so. I think I want to keep this stuff anyway as I'm sure I will run into it more in the future. I want to work with it for the fun of it anyway. Just more to know and learn about the hobby.
    THANKS ANYWAY
  12. mikld

mikld Active Member

If you don't want to bother with mil. brass crimps now, just put them in a separate tub and when you get enough, just chamfer the crimp off. Very easy to do. A countersink, or case mouth chamfer tool works fine. I usually do it while inspecting cases. I've done mostly 45 ACP and 5.56mm.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#countersinks/=5d1mr7