brass

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by thunderchild223, Apr 22, 2012.

1. thunderchild223

thunderchild223 New Member

how many times can you safely reload .308?
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i've some here ( ex mil brass ) been 5 times through, only some showing wear, so they got tossed into the scrap with the .22 to be sold , civilian brass is better though , but i dont reload much of that as i've a ton of surplus ammo to go through
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

There isn't any number of times you can specially reload any brass, regardless of caliber. It all depends on how hot your loads are and how tight your chamber is. best thing to do is always pay close attention to any warning signs and document your specific loads. You will most likely get 4ever-5 reloads with mid range loads.
  4. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

In part it will depend on the type of rifle it is being fired in. Light loads in a bolt action rifle stress a case less than heavy loads, or service loads in a military type semi-auto rifle.

Experienced wisdom for use in a rifle like the US M-14 design, is no more than five total firings and scrap the case or relegate it to manual bolt action service. M-14's (and likely some other gas operated rifles) are notorious for jerking the heads off of cases when you try to get more than five shots per case. Some rifle and case combos may have trouble after 4 or even 3 firings.

One final word of caution: As a bottle-neck case flows forward and grows longer with each firing, its neck wall also typically grow thicker while the case wall near the cartridge head gets stretched thinner; which causes semi-auto head separations when fired too many times. You can easily trim the neck to adjust case length. However, increased neck wall thickness is another matter. Bottom line, if you are going to continue to shoot cases that you have to trim for length; measure the neck diameter of each loaded cartridge to insure that it does not exceed maximum blueprint dimension. Failure to do so can and has blown up rifles.

Be safe, not sorry.
  5. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I have some I have loaded over 6 or 7 times. I anneal after every two firing.

I know some guys that get only 2 loading out of Laupa brass cause they are trying to get as much speed out of their 308 that they can with a 210 gr bullet. So because they are running as hot as they can then tend to expand primer pockets. Of course these guys also call Laupa and get for brass anytime they want.

For a normal loader using moderate loads you should be able to get up to 8 or 10 loadings out of good quality brass.