The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

brazilian mauser 08/34.30

11K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  bighoss 
#1 ·
what is the difference in the 08/34.30 mauser and say the k98 mauser and does any body have any info on the brazilan 08/34.30 as in what does it mean and just gen info

#2 ·
I don't know too much about em other than reading, and there is some conflicting info out there in the two "major" Mauser collector reference books that I've got. Authors are Robert Ball and Ludwig Olsen). I've never seen on in person though.

The 08/34.30 started life as a contract short rifle built by CZ/Brno for Brazil.
Original caliber was 7x57 and the contract began in 1934.
It's pretty similar looking to the VZ24 short rifle.
Some say that there were Brazilian-made actions used on some of the 08/34.30s since they lacked the usual CZ markings.

Sometime post-WWII, Brazil adopted the .30-06 as their service cartridge so these 08/34s were converted to this caliber. The original barrels were rebored/rechambered at the Fabrica De Itajuba Brasil arsenal...which later became known as IMBEL. These barrels had a ".30" stamped at the end of the 08/34 to designate that they were .30-06 models.

#4 ·
Are you restoring or sporterizing?

If restoring, I'd guess most of the parts are similar to the Brno VZ24. The sights are different than the other Brno contract rifles according to my ref books. You might want to check in on the mausercentral.com forum for more info too...there are quite a few collectors over there that might be more familiar with the Brazilian contract rifles.

If sporterizing, any large-ring Mauser parts will fit the action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.