1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

break in for Ruger

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

nighthawksh
    (4/28/02 1:25:48 pm)
    Reply break in for Ruger
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just got a new Ruger "slab-side", with bull barrel,,I see a lot of folks here have that pistol. What, if anything, needs to be done for "break-in"? How many rounds between cleaning, etc?

All help is appreciated.
    Stan H ,, nighthawk
    Sir; I may not agree with what you say
    But I shall defend unto death your right to say it

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/28/02 2:36:29 pm)
    Reply Re: break in for Ruger
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I heard a general rule of thumb is One cleaning swab for each ten rounds. Then for a serious cleaning, make sure there is no copper fouling or lead fouling on the final patch.

seb1899
    (5/2/02 7:56:22 pm)
    Reply Re: break in for Ruger
    I too purchased a Ruger Mk ll SS Slabside & I think it is a super pistol, however in my quest for the cheapest and the best ammo has taken several turns.

The first rounds thru it were Federal, purchased at the range but since I am cheap by nature I went to Wallyworld and bought Remington Thunderbolts - they suck. Back to the Federals a little better. Then I went to Winchester Super X an they worked better - less jams, less miss fires and no stove pipes. Then I tried CCI and they worked pretty good.

Back to Winchester Super X and no jams, no miss fires - but now I have a few scuff marks on the bolt - finally broken in??

I have some folks tell me I must shoot Hi Velocity and I also have been told NO hi velocity????

The fellow at Wallyworld has a 22/45 and swears by their low cost brick ammo (Federal??).

I really think you have to put about 500 rounds thru them and then decide

cal414
    (6/4/02 11:11:44 am)
    Reply Break in for Ruger
    Guys,
    Conventional wisdom says: The velocity of a 22 lr round doesn't require barrel break in. That’s more of a center fire (2000 fps +) thing.
    More harm has been done to 22 rifles accuracy by cleaning them than not cleaning them. You see, a bullet going down a barrel very fast leaves a coating of copper. However, the 22 lr just isn't fast enough to deposit enough to even worry about. The small "pores" of the barrel get polished and smoothed, but in a 22 lr this isn't an issue. If you do decide to break in your barrel, be VERY careful of the muzzle crown. You can very easily damage it and it will affect accuracy, sometimes dramatically. I think this is because the bullet is so light.
    Take note: If your using a air gauged, super expensive match chamber type barrel, the manufacturer will probably include instructions. All my match rim fire barrels say "No break in procedure required."
    they also caution that if cleaning is done, be sure to use a bore guide to avoid muzzle damage.

jkosterman
    (6/4/02 4:12:15 pm)
    Reply Winchester Super X
    I have a Ruger MkII with a 5-1/2" bull barrel. It will not feed more than 1 or 2 Winchester Super X rounds without a jam. The bullet is too soft. I have to use them only in my rifle.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/4/02 4:22:25 pm)
    Reply Re: Winchester Super X
    414, I don`t agree......how`s zat! LTS
    T.F.F.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (6/5/02 12:13:45 am)
    ezSupporter
    Re: Winchester Super X
    I never heard of "not" cleaning any firearm either!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

cal414
    (6/5/02 7:32:29 am)
    Reply Break in
    Tac,
    I didn't say NOT to clean the firearm! I specifically meant the barrel. 22lr barrels don't require cleaning like centerfire barrels do, additionally, they don't require "break in."

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/5/02 8:44:53 am)
    Reply Re: Break in
    That`s what I don`t agree with....
    T.F.F.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (6/5/02 1:36:52 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: Break in
    How can they not require cleaning? What about lead build
    up in the barrel which would cause pressures to rise?
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

cal414
    (6/5/02 1:51:27 pm)
    Reply Break in
    Tac,
    The durn bullets ain't going fast enough to create leading in the bbl. They are light tiny bullets that stabilize easily. A heavy bullet+a high twist rate creates leading, this isn't an issue with 22 LR. Look around on the net, I think you'll find that I'm correct.

Edited by: cal414 at: 6/5/02 2:56:28 pm

Tac401
    Administrator
    (6/5/02 2:01:08 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: Break in
    So are you saying that 22-barrels never need cleaning
    regardless of how many rounds are fired down the pipe?

I'm not much of a 22 man so this is interesting to me!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/5/02 2:06:27 pm)
    Still ain`t buying it, don`t care what the other places claim. I live .22 and laugh everyday at the "expert" crap I read. Must be why I can use the same stuff, but get a better grouping. LTS
    T.F.F.

cal414
    (6/6/02 11:32:02 am)
    Tac,
    I shoot alot of precision rimfire and I've yet to clean any of my match barrels. Groups are the same now as when they had 50 rounds thru them. (if I do my part, I'm not as young as I used to be)
    LTS,
    Easily stabilized bullet+low velocity = mininal leading and copper jacket depositing. In an earlier post you mentioned how excessive leading can lead to high pressures, and in this you are correct.
    However, when was the last time you heard about a 22 LR going ka-boom? My guess is you've never heard of one. The pressures generated by the 22 LR are small and the majority of them are blowback operated. These things tend to negate high pressure problems.
    Which reminds me, I need to stop by the gunshop on my way home and pick up a brick of Rem subsonic. That stuff groups really well out of my 10/22.

nighthawksh
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/6/02 1:39:29 pm)
    looks like I started a pretty good discussion here,,,,

I am confused about the "not cleaning the barrel" issue. While spending a few years working for a pretty good gunsmith up here, I have seen a LOT of rimfire rifles and handguns come in with the barrels looking like "smooth-bores". And the owners complaining they could not hit anything with them! While I am the first to admit to being a "novice" about "gunology" I think the second rule I ever learned was "Keep it clean!".

(the first rule, of course was, "a gun is always loaded!")

at any rate, I "broke-in" my Ruger. Cleaned it after each 10 rounds for the first 100 rounds. Not sure if this made any difference, but I sure got a shiney barrel!!!,,,lol

btw, this is one fun pistol!!!
    Stan H ,, nighthawk
    Sir; I may not agree with what you say
    But I shall defend unto death your right to say it

cal414
    (6/7/02 6:59:14 am)
    After reading your post it bacame obvious that we got off topic. I was refering to cleaning a 22 LR bbl, while you were talking about breaking one in. Sorry to get off topic.
    Regardless, last night I took a bore light and inspected all my 22LR bbl's. (6 in all) They were all shiney with the lands and grooves clearly visable. I don't think the hoppes fairys cleaned them while I slept ;-) Douglas also reccomends that the RF bbl's not be cleaned regularly.
    Anyway, I really enjoy these discussions. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/7/02 7:44:45 am)
    My 2 cents......22LR barrels need not be cleaned as often as centerfire barrels for the following reasons:

There is no buildup of copper (gilding metal).

The bullet speeds are in the transonic range...too slow to signifigantly lead the bore.

.22 RF is outside lubricated. This coats the bore with a protective soft wax coating.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't ever clean your barrel. Over time, that wax coating can build up and harden...especially in the grooves.

However....the action on a .22 auto requires frequent cleaning, due to the same waxy buildup.....which tends to congeal along with the powder residue to foul up the works.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/11/02 12:27:29 pm)
    414, though many make the claim of less cleaning, if anything, most rimfire is just plain dirty. Powder residue, waxing and the lot. Just what do you consider high speed??
    I have taken two exact barrels (as factory exact as possible, custom too) Firing both as is, ten rounds. Then preforming my voodoo on one. Groups improved by half. This may not be visible by the layman rest or free hand, but in a fixed firing device....custom rest. The results are plainly evident. I always start a new barrel with a simple test. I pull a one inch long piece of cotton ball from the breech to the muzzle, one swipe. I then view the bore, one ore more fibers can be found snagging. This is what I remove, those small snags. Granted, I have never seen a .22 explode......but I have placed some big eggs in some over the years.

This has lead me on a path for years, the .22 barrels life and cleaning. The only real barrels I`ve ever encountered "shot out" were "Gallery Guns" and these saw years of service and millions of rounds. Something the normal person could never duplicate. I have a Remington single shot, given me by my mothers-mother, as my first rifle......six years of age. It was my favorite for many-many years. I would venture to say, it has seen relentless cleanings (proud) and would say it has easily seen the million round mark and then some. It shoots just as it did 30 years ago......perfect. In the world of .22`s.....these are the things that make one better than the other, tiny secrets that many overlook. The biggest variable in rimfire is the .22 round.....you remove as much as humanly possible from the rifle, then the type .22 round it likes. Success will follow. Best LTS