Break-in... guns stolen.

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by golgiaparatus, Aug 26, 2010.

1. golgiaparatus

golgiaparatus New Member

Break-in at the house. Lots of stuff is gone including the safe that contained my guns... was bolted straight through the subfloor, crazy.

Anyway. So I'm in the market for 2 new guns now. One compact for carry and one full size for the range. Thought I'd get some recommendations.

Here's what I like:
    9mm
    DA/SA
    Minimal Recoil

I like a substantial gun. Not crazy, but substantial... I loved my 92's but I'm sure there are other better pistols out there.

I've been considering the Sig P226X5 for the full size and the p229SAS Gen 2 for carry.

They look like they have different safety operation though... I like it to be very similar from one to the other so there is zero fumbling if I ever need to draw the compact.

Previously I had a Full size 92 and a compact 92... they were identical in feel, just barrel and handle length were different.
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

having been a victim of a break in many years ago and losing a few guns i feel your pain. hard to choose a gun for someone else but you're on the right track you can't go wrong with any sig, and if lite weight is your thing you can't go wrong with a glock. both of these have differnt size guns to choose from full size and a smaller model for carry.
  3. golgiaparatus

golgiaparatus New Member

Thanks... I've shot revolvers 92s my entire adult life. I'm going to go handle a few Sigs tomorrow, but I know they will have a few 92s and maybe even a Centurian lurking to pounce on my checkbook as soon as they catch my eye.

Still I'm pretty dead set on trying something different ;) I always choose a gun that is well proven by military use... the p226 jumped straight to mind. As did the baby eagle (jericho).
  4. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I feel for you too.

I had my guns stolen about 15yrs ago by a crackhead cousin who burlarized our house while we were out of town. (Many of them were family heirlooms.)
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Yeah, I can feel your pain also. I have been broken into twice and both times guns stolen. I am happy to say the last time was over 30 years ago.

What do you mean when you say "revolvers 92s"? I would go with the Sig P226 or maybe a P229.
  6. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

the baby eagle isn't in the same class as a beretta 92 or a sig or a glock
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

golgiaparatus:

Boy, your safe must have been pretty light duty (??). The only way we can move two of my safes is to empty them. With guns in them it would take a fork lift to move them and there is no way you could get a fork lift through the doorways where the safes are located. The third safe is bolted to the studs in wall behind it. Then there is the alarm system on the house with a 120 db siren to alert the neighbors and scare away the intruders.

Over the years I have been lucky and never been broken into or had a vehicle stolen but I have had alarms on the house for the last 20+ years. My then young and foolish daughter let a friend of a friend come in the house when she stopped buy when I was not at home so she could use the bathroom. The guy took a camera that was on display. The loss was minimal but I felt violated. I never got the camera back even after reporting it stolen to the police.

LDBennett
  8. golgiaparatus

golgiaparatus New Member

My whole life all I have ever owned were either revolvers or 92's (Beretta 92, Taurus 92s).
  9. golgiaparatus

golgiaparatus New Member

It was fairly light duty. It was a smallish pistol safe Held 3 pistols and their magazines. It was bolted to the floor joist. I cant believe they broke it loose.
  10. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Perhaps replace the safe first. If you don't need a large one, perhaps a wall safe that is mounted in the wall behind a picture or piece of furniture?

The truth is, if they really want it, they'll find a way to get it / steal it.
  11. wpage

wpage Active Member

My condolences on your loss...
    Take your time. Spend time with police and insurance and pic replacements carefully and joyfully!
  12. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

That sux to have your stuff ripped off. Sorry for your loss, and hopefully you get em back...
  13. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Thanks for clarifying that for me! I thought you might mean the Beretta 92, but when you put revolvers 92, it totally threw me off.

I do love my Beretta 92!
  14. steve666

steve666 New Member

15. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link steve666, havent seen that one before.
  16. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I'd go with a Sig Sauer P226. I was looking at a 226R. Do they still make the 228?
  17. Milspec78

Milspec78 New Member

Bummer... :(

I like my 9mm Walther P99AS. It's SA/DA striker-fired with a button decocker...the best trigger system I've found to date. It's accurate and 100% reliable with any ammo I've tried. There's also the P99c compact version for more concealed carry.

The one on top is the Walther... :D

[​IMG]
  18. dep293

dep293 New Member

Sorry to hear about your break in. Seams like a lot of people are being broken into lately. I got broken into last week while the wife and I were sleeping. Our bedroom door was shut and the fan was on and we didn't hear anything downstairs. The police said the robber was probably in the house only a few unites. He only took our wallets. When the police came he asked me if I had a gun. I told him I did. He said "you wouldn't believe how many people in this county don't own a gun, and its there constitutional right". I asked the policeman what my rights were when an intruder comes into my home. He said "as long as they are in your house shoot until the gun is empty and they would clean up the mess when they get here. I was surprised he told me that but he said that’s the law in Indiana.
  19. cluznar

cluznar Former Guest

Maybe a Stoeger Cougar 9mm for range or maybe a Ruger SR9 or a Bersa 9mm.

How about a Ruger SR9c 9mm for carry