The Firearms Forum banner

Break-Top Revolver Mfg Date??

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Jakes 
#1 ·
I have a Forehand Arms Co. Break-top revolver in 38 S&W that I'm trying to determine a Mfg date. On the top of the barrel it says "Forehand Arms Co. Worcester. Mass. U.S.A.". Just beneath that it says "PAT'D Dec. 7, '86 & Jany. 11, '87. The Serial # is stamped on the front strap of the grip frame "A1280". The "280" is also stamped on the rear face of the cylinder.

Here's the kicker. There is no stamping anywhere on the gun of "Hopkins & Allen" or "H&A". However, the grip panels have a round circle molded at the top and clearly imprinted there is the "H & A" logo.

My guess is that this gun was produced very shortly after H&A took over Forehand in 1900 – 1902 (exact date seems to be in question). This gun was produced after the take over, using up existing stock, and before they could start stamping the barrels with the "Hopkins & Allen" marker.

Am I on the right track? Can you confirm my guess or give me any additional information? Thanks for the help.

#3 · (Edited)
Hopkins and Allen had a large fire at their factory in 1900 that shut them down, to say in business they merged with Forehand and Wadsworth ( merged/purchased/took control, facts are a little murky ), For a while H&A assembled revolvers with parts that were already stamped with F&W markings, as the assembly lines progressed the guns became marked Hopkins and Allen, It would not be unusual for a firearm marked F&W to have H&A grips nor for a H&A revolver the have F&W grips.. It just happened to be in the assembly line as the new grips became available and before the new H&A marked frames came on line.. Then again, I could be all wrong and down the road someone replaced the grips.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.