Breakdown, cleaning, and reassembling, how long does it take you to do so?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Mosin_Nagant_Fan, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan New Member

I know that the 1911's ruggedness and complexity gives it its reputation as a reliable and tough firearm, but how long does it take you to break it down, clean and reassemble? Just curious because I might get one in a couple months, depending on any dire straits that might happen between now and then.

It takes me about 1-3 minutes to detail clean my XD9, 2 hours to clean my PC, 3 hours to clean a 30 year old game console and 1 hour and a box of band-aids to clean my dog.:eek:
  2. medalguy

medalguy Member

Never timed it but I'd say about a minute to field strip it, 4-5 minutes to clean it well, another minute to reassemble it. Not long.
  3. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I'd say I have it naked and bathed in less than 8-10 minutes.
  4. garydude

garydude Member

A bit longer for me. I'd say 30 minutes is typical, but I rather enjoy the process so I'm not rushed.
  5. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

About ten minutes. Never timed it.
  6. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I'd say about 10 minutes if I just do a quick cleaning. Especially since I tore out that stupid 2-piece guide rod and put in the standard short one with the solid plug. Goes much quicker.

Then I just oil it up and put it all back together.
  7. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

You mean you have to clean them? Oh no. I guess I will have to look into that. Learn something new every day!
  8. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

DD, if you don't get out and shoot them you don't have to clean them. I am using the winter weather as an excuse. But when I do clean them it is just seconds to disassemble or reassemble but it depends on how fanatical I get when I am cleaning, could spend half an hour messing around some times.
  9. Clipper

Clipper Member

Spending time with old friends is always more fun. Cleaning my 1911's is akin to fishing with an old pal or drinking a tot on the back porch while you tell Sea Stories. Don't buy one unless you want to spend that sort of time with it.
  10. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

As above, I can easily push through it in less than 10 min. But, I find cleaning to be part of the overall shooting experience and like to take my time when possible.
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I'm sure I could get it done in under 10 minutes, but I'm one of those that take my time with most things. Probably less than 30 minutes, never checked how long I spend at it. There's only 40 something parts to the whole gun, and you don't break it down that far to just clean it up after a trip to the range.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  12. hd49

hd49 New Member

Well more than 10 min. but less than 30 min. All depends on how many rounds I shot that day.
  13. CharlieSW

CharlieSW New Member

Sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes more -- then there are the times when I start swapping grips, and slide stops, and bushings, and ...
  14. Wolfrage

Wolfrage New Member

Few minutes, well under 10, if done right after I get back from range and I'm not distracted by TV.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

20 to 30 here for most anything.
  16. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

after 100 rounds, about 30 minutes to strip, clean,and reassemble plus admire my work. this includes removing firing pin and extractor.
  17. Python

Python Former Guest

:yeahthat:
  18. mintaka

mintaka New Member

Cleaning my guns is like cleaning the house...bahhh
    But cleaning my 1911s is an intimate almost religeous experience..I guess its love,respect and the worship of a piece of history...the guys on iwo Jim a and at the bulge..old JMB at the drawing board...you can't get this stuff everyday in 2012...
    So to answer your question, I can do it in 10 or less minutes like most of my guns...but when I'm with anjolina Jolie, I want the night to last man...so my old slabsides gets some extra petting, gazing and just, just respect with a smile..
  19. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

"It takes me about 1-3 minutes to detail clean my XD9, 2 hours to clean my PC, 3 hours to clean a 30 year old game console and 1 hour and a box of band-aids to clean my dog."

Sounds like you never tried to clean a cat :D

After a generous lubing with SBGO and a good wipe down, it doesn't take but about 20 minutes for the Colt and a little longer for the Kimber after a day at the range.
  20. Kenley

Kenley New Member

A little off the course, but when I was a hard charging Marine..(1958)We were setting around after a day on the pistol range, and the subject came up. About 8 of us put up $2.00 apiece.We field stripped about a dozen 1911's and piled the parts in a heap on a table. The Marine that assembled a complete pistol and held it in the air with the slide locked back won the pot. Probably another 10 or so Marines were the cheering section and made side bets. I won the pot with 38 seconds. The trick was fishing out the correct parts from the pile.