Breakdown, cleaning, and reassembling, how long does it take you to do so?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Mosin_Nagant_Fan, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

after 100 rounds, about 30 minutes to strip, clean,and reassemble plus admire my work. this includes removing firing pin and extractor.
  2. Python

Python Former Guest

:yeahthat:
  3. mintaka

mintaka New Member

Cleaning my guns is like cleaning the house...bahhh
    But cleaning my 1911s is an intimate almost religeous experience..I guess its love,respect and the worship of a piece of history...the guys on iwo Jim a and at the bulge..old JMB at the drawing board...you can't get this stuff everyday in 2012...
    So to answer your question, I can do it in 10 or less minutes like most of my guns...but when I'm with anjolina Jolie, I want the night to last man...so my old slabsides gets some extra petting, gazing and just, just respect with a smile..
  4. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

"It takes me about 1-3 minutes to detail clean my XD9, 2 hours to clean my PC, 3 hours to clean a 30 year old game console and 1 hour and a box of band-aids to clean my dog."

Sounds like you never tried to clean a cat :D

After a generous lubing with SBGO and a good wipe down, it doesn't take but about 20 minutes for the Colt and a little longer for the Kimber after a day at the range.
  5. Kenley

Kenley New Member

A little off the course, but when I was a hard charging Marine..(1958)We were setting around after a day on the pistol range, and the subject came up. About 8 of us put up $2.00 apiece.We field stripped about a dozen 1911's and piled the parts in a heap on a table. The Marine that assembled a complete pistol and held it in the air with the slide locked back won the pot. Probably another 10 or so Marines were the cheering section and made side bets. I won the pot with 38 seconds. The trick was fishing out the correct parts from the pile.
  6. Wolfrage

Wolfrage New Member

Hah we used to see who could assemble their M4 or SAW blindfolded because we always saw that in movies. Helped when we were out in the field, cleaning them at night -- so as to not kill our nightvision batteries we would do it by touch.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  7. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

at the range I'll do a quick 2 minute wipe down and bore swab on pistols when I'm finished; 1911 gets the slide removed and everything wiped, bore snaked with solvent, earl on the slide/rails. Glock gets cleaned once a year whether it needs it or not, hahaha

After I get home, I probably spend about 40 minutes detailing every part (if I take down the entire thing; I usually only do that about once a month lately. If I'm just doing the slide and assembled frame, about 10 minutes or so I guess.
  8. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I spent somewhere between 45 min and an hour cleaning one for the first time today, but I have always been slow with such things. In this case I wanted to make sure I got all the factory oil off then coated everything with SBGO before going to the range.

Field stripping a 1911 takes me 15-30 sec. Reassembly maybe takes me 2-3 min on a good day.
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

About 20 seconds to field strip, 4-5 minutes to detail strip. Cleaning time depends on the amount of crud and where it is. Reassembly 1 min from field strip, 7-8 from detail strip. More time if blindfolded. But I have cleaned at least two or three 1911s.

(Field strip times assume GI pistol with standard guide rod. Detail times assume GI pistol with no firing pin block or target type sear.)

Jim
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  10. HAGEN442

HAGEN442 New Member

The Shortest Cycle on the Dish Washer is about 20 Minutes

11. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

2-3 hours, depends how long I can be in the garage before the wife pops her head in wondering why I disappeared