Breaking-In Chrome-Lined Barrel

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

308bolt
    (11/30/02 9:28:22 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Chrome lined barrel break in?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Does anyone have any sage advice on the proper way to break in a chrome lined barrel?

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/30/02 9:36:19 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Chrome lined barrel break in?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I didn't know you had to. Sure do hope somebody comes along and gives us both some sage advice here.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/30/02 11:07:06 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Chrome lined barrel break in?
    Sage advice for breaking in a Chrome lined barrel -

Shoot it just like you would break in any other barrel.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Mauser45
    (12/19/02 1:19:24 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Chrome lined barrel break in?
    308 Bolt,
    I am assuming that you have a military rifle. I can't think of any production sporting rifles with a chrome lined barrel. This is sage,oregano and possibly basil advice! It doesn't hurt to carefully break in any barrel whether it is a match gun,varmint rifle,sporter or military. I believe that benchrest shooters clean their barrels every five shots for at least the first twenty-five shots. The problem with a chromed barrel is that the chrome is about R/C 80 in hardness, which is about two times the hardness of a modern rifle barrel. I have never heard or read about anyone breaking in a chromed barrel. In the military it is not an issue. They do it for corrosion resistance and it should help to cut down on throat erosion ahead of the chamber. I would clean it after every 10 rounds. I would expect it to take at least one hundred shots to break it in. Let the barrel cool between shots. If you hand load your ammo, you will probably have the barrel broken in as good as it will get by the time that you have worked up your best bullet / powder combination for accuracy.

308bolt
    (12/19/02 10:47:49 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Thanks Mauser.
    Thanks Mauser I appreciate the well thought out advice.
    I have used benchrest techniques to break in barrels in the past and have had excellent results.
    The reason that I posted the question is that a friend who owns a Bushmaster said that the manufacturers
    recommendation was to put four hundred rounds through it before the first cleaning. To me that doesn't make a lot of sense. The rifle that I'm about to break in is a NIB SKS. A late Norinco sporter. I had intended
    to use BR technique but thought it wise to see if anyone had some info to support the 400 rnd. idea. This is the only new chrome lined I have ever owned and though it isn't a big buck rifle I still would like to have it shoot as accurately as it was intended to and be able to clean it without too much trouble, proper break in tends to assure both of those. As it happens I will start breaking it in today so your response is very timely.
    Thanks again,
    Steve

Mauser45
    (12/19/02 9:17:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Thanks Mauser.
    308 Bolt,
    Could there be a misunderstanding about the 400 rounds before the first cleaning? If they are recommending that proceedure it is hard to believe! I can understand that the rifle will be broken in after 400 rounds. I would be concerned about ruining the bore due to excessive fouling. It sounds more like a torture test to me! I know that with automatic pistols they often recommend a 200 round break in period before the pistol will feed and function at it's best but they definitely keep it clean. Coincidentally, I just took my Norinco SKS to the range. I glassbedded it, lapped the barrel and mounted a 4x Norinco scope. The cross hairs cover about 2 inches at 100 yards so it was difficult to aim as precisely as i'd like. Using Federal ammo I was able to keep five rounds within 3 inches for several groups. I don't know how this compares to other SKS's but it seems to be reasonable for this type of rifle. Definitely good enough for deer or coyotes at woods ranges here in the east!

308bolt
    (12/20/02 11:01:28 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Thanks Mauser.
    Mauser
    I'm going to follow up on that 400 rnd. bit . It never sounded right to me either. Something you might find of interest: I started my break in yesterday and was surprised by the fact that I got no copper during the cleaning I gave it after the first shot. I then took three shots and no copper again. What I'm used to seeing is massive copper after the first shot and then the amount of copper residue diminishes as the break in continues. I'm thinking that the tolerance in the bore is loose or the chrome lining fills in the flaws which normaly fill with copper when a new bore is initially fired. What do you think? I'll see what happens as the break in continues. I was wondering what type of scope mount you used as I haven't seen any that I consider very stable except for one which replaces the rear sight mount and that one appears to interfere with removing the gas tube. I'm also curious as to how you lapped your bore. As far as accuracy goes I'll be interested to see what my Norinco does in comparison to my 59/66 Yugoslav. I've had as small as 2 inch 5 shot groups using Cheetah ammo at 100 yards with my Yugo but not consistently. Did you try before and after groups with yours? I'm wondering how much difference the bedding made.
  2. joetesterman

joetesterman New Member

Howdy, I have a new Bushmaster ORC and I love it. My best friend shoots 1000 yard comp and he told me that in a Chrome Lined barrel you realy don't have to worry about fowling the barrel during break in. I cleaned mine with very good with a brush and solvient before shooting it. And the barrel was dirty from the factory. I cleaned mine after every 10 or so shots up to 100 shots. I am shooting a 1/4 inch at 100 yards with 55g PMC Bronze and Ultramax 55 grain sp. My rifle does not like Wolf. It throes it everywhere. Hope This helps.