Breaking in my new CZ 452 Varmint target rifle

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by The Count, Jan 29, 2011.

1. The Count

The Count New Member

besides all the other guns i shoot i just HAD to start 22LR target shooting...my poor bank account.

anyway, i am getter a new cz 452 varmint with a gunsmith putting in a Yo Dave spring kit, trigger pull will be around 1.5-2 lbs.

ordered a Weaver T36 scope with FC dot reticle, and several types of target ammo, like eley club, wolf match, SK Jagd, federal match

50 yard (later 100 yard) BR competition is what i want to get into. now to the main question:

is there a break in ritual for this rifle? usual 3 shots, clean barrel, wait 5 minutes, rinse, repeat 5 more times or something better?
  2. Sod Farmer

Sod Farmer New Member

The 22lr is different from highpowers when it come to break-in. In short, there is no break-in or break-in proceedure. Just shoot it and do not clean it until accuracy deteriorates. Far more barrels are worn out from cleaning than from use. You bought a great gun - - - - enjoy!
  3. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

The best thing to do first is clean, clean and clean the barrel. Get all the brown preservative out of it then shoot, shoot, and shoot. I have three CZ's and they all like Wolf MT best but they do real good with Federal auto match. The guys and gals at Rimfire central are a ton of help when it comes to CZ's. You have a great rifle to have years of fun with.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  4. slickab

slickab Member

You need to thoroughly clean the bore. CZ uses a thick brown cosmoline
    type preservative in their bores. A lot of people, myself included, use spray brake or carb
    cleaner down the bore. Then patch out good with CLP followed by a dry
    patch. Repeat until patches come out clean.
    Firing without clearing this stuff out will permanently damage the bore and
    the rifle's accuracy potential will never be realized.