Breech Plug stuck on Thompson Black Diamond

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by wpshooter, Oct 26, 2012.

1. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

I just purchased a used Thompson Black Diamond Extended Range.

Outside of rifle is in really great shape, no rust pitting, etc.

However, it appears that the rifle has not been cleaned after its last shooting session.

I have cleaned everything up including the barrel (from the muzzle end) and everything looks great, however, I have not so far been able to get the breech plug out of the gun. The 209 adapter came off of the breech plug just fine.

I am now in the process of soaking the breech plug with some KROIL pored down the barrel - have end of plug blocked.

How long do you think it might take the Kroil to possibly loosen the plug so that I might be able to turn it out ?

I have the flat 2 ended wrench (one that fits onto the plug head and is perpendicular to the barrel - NOT the one that fits up thru the back of the receiver) that originally came with these rifles to try to get the plug out with.

Is there any lubricant that might possibly be better than Kroil ?

Thanks.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  2. Buzzard II

Buzzard II New Member

I had the same problem. It took 3 of us to get it out, 2 holding the gun and one turning the wrench. Even with Never Seize on the threads these guns are tough to get the breech plugs out of them. The kroil should work overnight, but I'd try with at least one friend to turn the plug. If that fails-a gunsmith is the only way. It's worth it in the long run! Good luck! Bob
  3. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

Bob:

Thanks for the info.

I took it over to my brother-in-law's house and clamped the lug housing on the bottom of the receiver in his vise and then put my socket wrench / extension up thru the back of the receiver and gave it a turn and it came out fairly easy. Nothing like having a proper way to hold something !!!

That is one of my next little projects is to build myself a nice work bench / table, so I can mount a vise on it and I can get a proper hold on things I am working on and not have to borrow someone else's vise every time.

Thanks.
  4. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

With the breech plug out now and it not being cleaned for a year, how does that end of the barrel look?
  5. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

Surprisingly, it looked fairly good (not as bad as I was expecting).

The threads of the plug and the threads of the barrel had a goodly amount of "CRUD" on them but with some good solvent and brushing, I think I got about 99% of it off - just some very minor pitting left on the plug.

The riflings of the barrel look just like new.

Thanks.

P.S. - I guarantee that the plug will get a liberal supply of anti-seize lube before being installed - at least as long as I own the rifle.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  6. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

I only use Bore Butter on the threads on my BP rifle, I don't use anything petroleum based on it at all.
  7. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

What would be detrimental about using a petroleum based lube ?

I use Thompson Super Lube Anti-Seize lubricant. It says that it has PTFE, which is apparently some type of Teflon - but I really don't know if that would be considered petroleum based, since I am not a chemist.

Thanks.