Bring out your old stuff

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Scooter
    (4/15/02 8:04:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Bring out your old stuff
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gentlemen (and Ladies, if present);

Thank you for letting me monitor this website. I have discovered lots of good information in the accumulated wisdom here , and will look forward to future visits.

I have been keeping my eye on this site for several reasons: to convince myself that reloading isn't as hard as it may seem, as an extension to a satisfying hobby, and (important point here) it's cost effective.

I know some of you probably have some old serviceable equipment in your garage, your basement or stashed away in your attic somewhere. Since I don't have lots of $$$ to spend on new equipment and used stuff seems to go for a premium on sites like e-bay, I'd like an opportunity to get started with "veteran" equipment that's easy to set up, calibrate and use. I'll be reloading mostly .45ACP, 9mm, .30 carbine and maybe even some .223. Please let me know what it is you have and would be willing to part with to start another "newbie" on his way.

Thanks in advance for your consideration. I'll look forward to your follow up posts.

Scooter

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/15/02 8:46:38 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Bring out your old stuff
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome Scooter, had a boss at work one time with that name but a long story. No telling what these fine folks have squirrled away so you never know unless you ask and they often even have good answers. Make yourself at home and happy to have you! I myself am looking for a good set of fl45-70 dies, so just maybe we can just both be fixed up.
    cointoss2

Tailgunner1954
    (4/15/02 8:52:45 pm)
    One reason that prices for used equipment seems high to to you is that this stuff just dosn't wear out, couple that with lifetime warrenties and you get retained value.
    After a while you get used to the 'I abused it for years than did somthing stupid and broke it....called factory and got free replacement' stories, and their true too

Sorry I don't have any spair stuff
    unless you want my wife (she comes with a beagle and a goat)

Scooter
    (4/15/02 9:02:34 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Thanks for the encouragement
    I appreciate your comments so far guys..............

"Scooter" is only because I like to ride my motorcycle, Cointoss. But if I take Tailgunner up on his offer, I guess I could learn to ride a goat.......

I guess I haven't seen too may "lifetime warranties" on the presses. Most seem to have a limited parts warranty only. That's what I get for looking at the cheap stuff, I guess.

So, come on, guys. My tax refund is buring a hole in my pocket, and I'd rather give my money to you..........

Scooter

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/15/02 9:10:48 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Thanks for the encouragement
    Well Scooter so far you been ofered a wife a beagle and a goat, wondering what he has to have for the goat myself?
    cointoss2

Chief 101
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/15/02 9:24:55 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Thanks for the encouragement
    I'm just getting started myself so I dont have any spare stuff, but, if you will goto Lee's site and look for the kit where you can buy the Lee howto/data book and get a single stage press for free. I think it's about $25 bucks.

Good luck.

Steve
    Very funny Scotty, Now beam down my clothes.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/15/02 10:14:23 pm)
    A big Howdy and Welcome to the board, Scooter!

Most of my duplicate or old reloading equipment tends to get recycled into secondary usage, or to be available in the unlikely event of breakage. Think most reloaders will be of equal mind frame.

As said, try to get some discount supply store catalogs (Midway, Graf & Sons, Midsouth, Natchez Shooters Supply, Wiedners, etc) and see if you can't find some bargins for the calibers you want. Haunt the auction sites, also - SOMETIMES there are some bargins there, but sometimes there is "junque", too!

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/15/02 10:35:45 pm)
    Howdy do, Scooter. Real glad to welcome you to our board and especially the reloading thread. This is of great interest to most of us here as we are smitten with the gun bug and shooting them.

I've got five reloading presses on my two desk, and only one isn't getting much use. But if I were to offer it to you it would be no bargain price, as I've got too much invested in it.

Probably your best bet is the gun shows or put an ad in the news paper you are looking for such and such and want to spend such and such.

The Lee equipment is the lowest price to get started, and if you get yourself a catalog from Lock Stock and Barrel of Valentine NB, you will save a lot of dough with them. The middle model presses are the bargains, and their dies are very good.

Wish I had a something to offer you, maybe someone else will come up with something.

Good luck and welcome again to our ranks.

Gunguy

Scooter
    (4/16/02 4:00:48 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Thanks
    Well, it's obvious I've come to the right place for advice. It's gratifying to know that you all are willing to take the time to help out some of us new guys.

I'm going to take your advice as well, and see if I can find something interesting on the web. Chief101's suggestion is one I hadn't heard before. Kdub and Gunguy also have some good information that I'll be following up on.

Might even make a new topic under this section "How I started reloading for under $50" or something like that. Give others the benefit of my research.

Thanks again, guys, keep it coming.

Scooter

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/16/02 6:51:38 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Thanks
    Scooter, there's always a lot of reloading stuff on ebay you may want to check the other auction sites too

Tailgunner, got any pictures of the goat?