British 303 help

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by knightly1, Nov 22, 2012.

1. knightly1

knightly1 New Member

Greetings

My son got a British 303 Lee Enfield from his grandfather. I am having problems finding out anything about it for him. We know it was made in 1942 or that's what is stamped in to it and it says its No. 4 MK?. I am needing to find out because it has a broken extractor spring. Anyone have a idea on how to find out what Mark it is. Also I think the stock might have been sporterized because the ones i have been finding on the web have a top to the forehand but ours doesn't. Any help is welcome.

James
  2. Diamondback

Diamondback Member

Wecome to the forum knightly. Pictures are a necessity for any help in identifying the rifle. I am not an expert on .303's but I believe that the extractor spring should be interchangeable between the various Mark's. If I am wrong about this one of the experts will be more than willing to tell you and me what a dolt I am.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The extractor springs are the same for all variations of the Rifle No. 4.

Try www.gunpartscorp.com for the spring; their part number is 486800; cost is about $6. For many years, gunsmiths have been modifying those extractors to take a coil spring, but of course the cost of the modification has to be balanced against the cost of one or more regular springs.

Jim
  4. JustinHotHands

JustinHotHands New Member

Post all markings you find on the rifle (both stock and steel) and maybe we can help. Pic helps a lot.