British 303 question

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jaylaporte, Nov 26, 2012.

1. jaylaporte

jaylaporte New Member

Hello, my name is Jay and I am trying to find out some history on a gun I aquired a long time ago. It is a British 303 , ROFM NO4 MK1 1941. It has what looks like a serial number by the safety, it is B18618A. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I am wondering specifically what its history might be and how much it could possibly be worth.

Thank you,

Jay
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Jay, It is a British Enfield, 303 caliber, primary British and Common Wealth service rifle from 1895 until 1957. Yours is marked 1941, which the year it was built. There is no way to determine the specific history on any one rifle, it may have been used in battle in both WWII and the Korean War, or used on Guard duty and never left merry old England. If you google British Enfield you will find a wealth of information including what the markings mean. Value?? Don't know with out some ideal of it's condition, a picture is needed for that. It may be a 25 dollar tomato stake or a 400 dollar jewel. Only clear pictures can tell us. Surplus 303 ammo is still available ( I Think ) and you can enjoy shooting it, if it is in good condition.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The rifle was made at the Royal Ordnance Factory, Maltby, South Yorkshire, in 1941.

Jim
  4. jaylaporte

jaylaporte New Member

Thank you RJay and Jim K. I appreciate the info.