1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

British .303

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Crunch, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Crunch

Crunch New Member

Lee Enfield Mark5 No.1 1945, in another thread someone had posted that it was a Pacific Theatre weapon, jungle carbine. I can't see myself selling but I was just curious what it may be worth. I like shooting it and it's a nice piece of history.

Overall
    Some Dings
    Some markings

I tried to get a good picture of this little crown with a P or something under it right by the action but try as I might I couldn't reduce the glare.
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Well Crunch.....indeed, the Rifle No. 5, Mark 1 was known as the "Jungle Carbine" and was used exclusively in the Pacific Theatre.

Unfortunately, I don't think that's what you've got. A few years ago, these Jungle Carbines came on the market and proved to be highly popular. Demand exceed supply, so some unscrupulous importers started cutting down the older No.4, Mark 1 and No.4, Mark 1* and sold them as the real Jungle Carbine.

The reason that I think yours might be a fake is that it has the wrong front sight, no bayonet lug, no flash hider, and a barrel band around around the front of the stock (which the original didn't have).

If it were genuine (and I could be wrong on the above), it's value would be:

Exc. - $500
    V.G. - $400
    Good - $300
  3. Crunch

Crunch New Member

Well I guess it depends on what you mean by "few years ago".....my grandfather bought this rifle in '68 in Cali. Just curious anyways......wasn't for sale anyhow,

Thanks for the reply X.
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

You didn't have pics on your other thread so here is my input. Even though the peep sight and stock look authentin. What X said is true about the flashider and front sight. Your's is probalby either a original highly butchered or a fake either way they are great shooters

Attached Files:

5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Definately been cut back! Sorry. :eek:
  6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Crunch.....when you get to be my age, 1968 is a few years ago....:D :D :D
  7. Crunch

Crunch New Member

Ha-ha nice X.

Thanks for the replies, I still like shooting / owning it.

I guess to validate exactly how much of the gun is authentic I should take it to someone so they could flip around and examine it. From the info I provided and the responses I gather that it has been modified at least moderately, I am not sure if that takes anything away from the pleasure of owning it for me or not. Not really I guess....It would be interesting to find out exactly how much of the rifle is original though.

I have to get this thing "Bore sighted" I was told by my gramps when he gave it too me......apparently he let someone dink with it now it's hard just hitting paper with it. How much should I expect to pay someone to do this?