British 303

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by MarkWood, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The mag is not like that used in the Ishapore rifle (which was not a conversion), but very similar mags were sold with the 7.62mm conversion kits made in England for the No. 4 and also were sold here for both .308 and .303 as replacement magazines by GPC, Sportsman's Guide and others. I don't know who made them, they probably came from Mexico.

Hi, Gandog, yes, a real No.5 in decent condition is a steal at $250.

Jim
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Yep thats a steal. I would have ran fast. True matching No5's always bring in premiums. Especially when they have full paperwork of were and when it served. My dad picked one up from a collector that did a lot of homework on it. I can't verify that any of this was true but the Brits and Aussies kept good records of who and what. He had a full history of where it was carried, who carried it and number of confirmed kills with it. I can't imagine how they came up with that however. ANyway he grabbed it for 450.00. Most of the ones i see now are 5-6.
  3. bbqznbeer

bbqznbeer New Member

It isn't really cut down , just the forestocks have.
    Barrel looks uncut.
    X2 on the aftermarket mag.
    It's a good candidate for a easy restoration.
    $175 tops .
    If you can give us the first 3 numbers off the serial , we can determine the factory of origin...if you like.

I've bought cut down stocks for my original Canadian No4 , saving the original stocks so not to do any more damage to it's collectiblity. Stocks and parts for these are made to be readly changed out.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  4. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

10,000 pardons for the 'conversion' that I slipped into my last post, sahib. Those Ishapore 7.62s were not "converted' from .303, but rather were manufactured in 7.62. Thinking of 'conversions' when I wrote was in reference to the front sight being in appearance that of a No4 than the typical flash hider on a No5.

Bbqznbeer - that is a very nice Enfield. Surprising how nice some of those come out when sporterized. My brother had one with a Bishop MonteCarlo stock, a lyman peep receiver sight and a really nice hooded front ramp sight. That was a sweet looking (and shooting!) hunting rifle. In looks, some of those would give some sporterized Mausers and Springfields a run for their money.

Most of the garage "sporter" jobs on these are just plain ugly. Sort of make you want to wear a paper sack on your head if you took them out in public.....
  5. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Amen to that. My buddy's drunken ex-boss "fixed" his .303, then gave it back, it was a mess and the stock was stripped and sporterized. It is shamefully ugly now. :(

Beautiful rifle, bbqz.
  6. midnight_cougar

midnight_cougar New Member

Do you use the surplus ammo through the .303? im curious on the grouping with the surplus ammo in the .303. im still thinking about getting a mosin nagant, and changing the stock to fiberglass to make iy lighter, to go out for yotes. but still keep it and change it back if i want to. i like the looks of your gun alot. and surplus ammo is cheap for both so i can shoot alot
  7. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Cougar - most of the surplus ammo I've shot thru my various .303s have been disappointing for the last 20 or so years. I've had lots of hang-fires in both old WW2 British and later Pakistani ammo. I'm guessing it is a storage issue.

Although I personally prefer the .303 to the Russian 7.62R, if it comes down to buying the cheapest and most reliable mil-surp ammo, I'd have to say the 7.62R.

I'm not wild about the Mosin-Nagant's design, and I really like the much slicker action of the Enfield. I ended up pulling down .303 surplus ammo and reloading it into commerical cases. Most times the 'powder' is that straw like cordite, so that's not even useable - just the bullets.

Grouping - that is a hard call when you expect a hang-fire or mis-fire half of the time. When I reload mine with commercial cases and powder, they shoot 2 or 3 inch groups at 100 yards with the open sights. As far as the 7.62R, I only owned an M44 carbine, and that particular rifle was a 4-5 inch grouper at 100 yards with mil-surp ammo.
  8. ghrit

ghrit New Member

Based on my experience, you might not like an MN in lighter than issue weight. They are a mite, um, "snorty" on the shoulder in military trim. Then again, you could add weight to a more comfortable stock if you wanted to.
  9. midnight_cougar

midnight_cougar New Member

Ive been checking into the MN for awhile now. I really like scopes on my guns, but i don't want to replace the rear site because everyone says they come loose and you need to use a pistol scope. But I don't really want to get the gun tapped and drilled to put a scope on it. It seems like everyone is saying the fiberglass aftermarket stock makes them somewhat more accurate. I ordered barrel clamp bipods, but with the kick they might pop off. i got them for the kids to use to help them shoot better and get more accurate with the .22s. Because i like to use .22s out squirrel hunting and not shotguns. If i find a MN thats already been switched over and has a scope mounted already tapped onto it. i wouldnt be the one drilling it out and i already found the scope ide like to put on it. Ive been looking thro the swap sheet and papers. i found a few before but havent seen any in a long time. N with the surplus ammo prices that cheap, i could shoot all the time. it's alot cheaper than shooting my .223 @ .50rnd. and my .22 mag @ .36rnd.

But im not trying to hijack your thread. Thank you for the info
  10. gandog56

gandog56 Member

I got no paperwork, but according to the serial number it's a real No.5 made in the Faz plant in 1946.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  11. redman.com1

redman.com1 New Member

it a $100 gun
  12. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

non-sense worth a far sight more than 100.00