1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

British 303

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by MarkWood, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The mag is not like that used in the Ishapore rifle (which was not a conversion), but very similar mags were sold with the 7.62mm conversion kits made in England for the No. 4 and also were sold here for both .308 and .303 as replacement magazines by GPC, Sportsman's Guide and others. I don't know who made them, they probably came from Mexico.

Hi, Gandog, yes, a real No.5 in decent condition is a steal at $250.

Jim
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Yep thats a steal. I would have ran fast. True matching No5's always bring in premiums. Especially when they have full paperwork of were and when it served. My dad picked one up from a collector that did a lot of homework on it. I can't verify that any of this was true but the Brits and Aussies kept good records of who and what. He had a full history of where it was carried, who carried it and number of confirmed kills with it. I can't imagine how they came up with that however. ANyway he grabbed it for 450.00. Most of the ones i see now are 5-6.
  3. bbqznbeer

bbqznbeer New Member

It isn't really cut down , just the forestocks have.
    Barrel looks uncut.
    X2 on the aftermarket mag.
    It's a good candidate for a easy restoration.
    $175 tops .
    If you can give us the first 3 numbers off the serial , we can determine the factory of origin...if you like.

I've bought cut down stocks for my original Canadian No4 , saving the original stocks so not to do any more damage to it's collectiblity. Stocks and parts for these are made to be readly changed out.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  4. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

10,000 pardons for the 'conversion' that I slipped into my last post, sahib. Those Ishapore 7.62s were not "converted' from .303, but rather were manufactured in 7.62. Thinking of 'conversions' when I wrote was in reference to the front sight being in appearance that of a No4 than the typical flash hider on a No5.

Bbqznbeer - that is a very nice Enfield. Surprising how nice some of those come out when sporterized. My brother had one with a Bishop MonteCarlo stock, a lyman peep receiver sight and a really nice hooded front ramp sight. That was a sweet looking (and shooting!) hunting rifle. In looks, some of those would give some sporterized Mausers and Springfields a run for their money.

Most of the garage "sporter" jobs on these are just plain ugly. Sort of make you want to wear a paper sack on your head if you took them out in public.....
  5. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Amen to that. My buddy's drunken ex-boss "fixed" his .303, then gave it back, it was a mess and the stock was stripped and sporterized. It is shamefully ugly now. :(

Beautiful rifle, bbqz.
  6. midnight_cougar

midnight_cougar New Member

Do you use the surplus ammo through the .303? im curious on the grouping with the surplus ammo in the .303. im still thinking about getting a mosin nagant, and changing the stock to fiberglass to make iy lighter, to go out for yotes. but still keep it and change it back if i want to. i like the looks of your gun alot. and surplus ammo is cheap for both so i can shoot alot
  7. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Cougar - most of the surplus ammo I've shot thru my various .303s have been disappointing for the last 20 or so years. I've had lots of hang-fires in both old WW2 British and later Pakistani ammo. I'm guessing it is a storage issue.

Although I personally prefer the .303 to the Russian 7.62R, if it comes down to buying the cheapest and most reliable mil-surp ammo, I'd have to say the 7.62R.

I'm not wild about the Mosin-Nagant's design, and I really like the much slicker action of the Enfield. I ended up pulling down .303 surplus ammo and reloading it into commerical cases. Most times the 'powder' is that straw like cordite, so that's not even useable - just the bullets.

Grouping - that is a hard call when you expect a hang-fire or mis-fire half of the time. When I reload mine with commercial cases and powder, they shoot 2 or 3 inch groups at 100 yards with the open sights. As far as the 7.62R, I only owned an M44 carbine, and that particular rifle was a 4-5 inch grouper at 100 yards with mil-surp ammo.
  8. ghrit

ghrit New Member

Based on my experience, you might not like an MN in lighter than issue weight. They are a mite, um, "snorty" on the shoulder in military trim. Then again, you could add weight to a more comfortable stock if you wanted to.
  9. midnight_cougar

midnight_cougar New Member

Ive been checking into the MN for awhile now. I really like scopes on my guns, but i don't want to replace the rear site because everyone says they come loose and you need to use a pistol scope. But I don't really want to get the gun tapped and drilled to put a scope on it. It seems like everyone is saying the fiberglass aftermarket stock makes them somewhat more accurate. I ordered barrel clamp bipods, but with the kick they might pop off. i got them for the kids to use to help them shoot better and get more accurate with the .22s. Because i like to use .22s out squirrel hunting and not shotguns. If i find a MN thats already been switched over and has a scope mounted already tapped onto it. i wouldnt be the one drilling it out and i already found the scope ide like to put on it. Ive been looking thro the swap sheet and papers. i found a few before but havent seen any in a long time. N with the surplus ammo prices that cheap, i could shoot all the time. it's alot cheaper than shooting my .223 @ .50rnd. and my .22 mag @ .36rnd.

But im not trying to hijack your thread. Thank you for the info
  10. gandog56

gandog56 Member

I got no paperwork, but according to the serial number it's a real No.5 made in the Faz plant in 1946.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  11. redman.com1

redman.com1 New Member

it a $100 gun
  12. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

non-sense worth a far sight more than 100.00