British Bull-Dog

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by tengstrom1, Dec 28, 2009.

1. tengstrom1

tengstrom1 New Member

I have a British bull-Dog made by Forehand & Wadsworth. Its a 7 shot 32 cal., nickel plated with 95% of finish and in good working order. The Left side grip is craked. Serial number is 62112. I would like to know the age and value if any.

Attached Files:

2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the exact date this revolver was made is unknown for now, but i believe it was manufactured between 1880 and 1889 (the last year forehad and wadsworth was in business. the following year forehand arms company opened their doors with the only change being the name change). these revolvers were offered in many mail order catalogs of the middle 1880"s. it is still being debated weather or not F&W actually manufactured them here in the U.S.A. or just imported them from one of the Belgium manufacturer. there are just two many out there of Belgium manufacture that look exactally alike those with the F&W name on them. the name "British Bulldog" has become almost a generic name and the same revolvers have been seen with other names as well, like Indian Bulldog and California Bulldog. caliber usually rage from six shot 32's to five shot 44 webley for the small frame pocket models and up to six shot 44-40 for the large frame belt models

value range from very high to very low usually depending on the seller and what he thinks they are worth. this usually ranges from about $50 to over $300.

bill
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Bill, although there are a multitude of Belgian made "British Bulldogs" they are basically one-of-a-kind cottage industry products, and not interchangeable, whereas the F&W's were machine made with interchangeable parts and so-advertised. Although the Belgians are noted for copying US and other guns, it appears that in this case F&W borrowed the Belgian design and lockworks.

The 7-shot .32 F&W BBD is the most common caliber, and there are usually one or two listed in the online auctions.