Broken Springfield, Never Fired

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by tspeck007, Nov 20, 2007.

1. tspeck007

tspeck007 New Member

I bought a Springfield Loaded 9x19.

It's been out of the box for 15 minutes, working the slide, magazine release, etc. I engage/disengage the safety a number of times.

I go to disengage the safetly left handed and the the lever moves slightly but will not disengage the safety. It won't re-engage or disengage with either hand now. I notice the two safety levers look a little too wide on the body of the gun. If I push the right handed safety lever towards the gun body it moves closer to the body a hair and I am then able to use the safety properly right handed. Every time I try left handed I get the same problem noted above.

I take it back to the store. Their gunsmith spends a few minutes with it. I get it back and try the safety. Works both sides. Safety feels different, sharper movement.

Take it home. Work the safety again a few times. The same problem arises after only a few more cycles of the safety.

Can anyone offer any insight?

What would you recommend I do?

I'm not at all thrilled and am concerned I could have problems arise 3 years down the road with the safety.
  2. steve84

steve84 New Member

Personally, I would return for an exchange. I don't believe something new in box should have a flaw that cannot be fixed.

If for some reason you are going to keep it, I would take it back to the gunsmith, find out what he did (pay careful attention) and then you may be prepared to do it whenever the problem occurs.
  3. tspeck007

tspeck007 New Member

It is back at the gun smith.

He only worked on it briefly the first time, while I waited.

They're going to spend the time to fix it right, apparently, but I'm still not thrilled about it and have an uneasy feeling.
  4. logman

logman New Member

The problem is simply that the joint of the ambi-safety is loose which allows the left side to be pushed out slightly when you operate it left handed.So it's not broken,remove saftey,tighten joint connection and reinstall.
  5. tspeck007

tspeck007 New Member

I'm guessing the gunsmith did this the first time.

It loosened up again within a couple cycles. Not sure what they'll do differently to fix it permanently?
  6. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Take the ambi safety off and put in a single unit! Ambi safety is NOT good on a carry weapon as puting it in a holster could cause it to come off! Not a good situation.

IPT
  7. logman

logman New Member

Well I,d agree with that,but its not the question.If the GS properly tightened the tongue and groove joint it won,t work loose.