Broken tap drill.

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by goofy, Nov 26, 2012.

1. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

I had a tap drill end break a friend says you can re-shape a drill bit.
    Is this true?
    If so how do you do it?
    And is it worth it?
    When ever I had this happen before I just got a new one.
    I have herd of sharpening a drill bit but not after it has broken.
    I gess I should have added it is a 3-flute carbide bit.
    Mike
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  2. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

3 flute? Sounds like you are talking about the tap. A tap drill is the drill you use to drill the correct size hole to use the tap in. If you broke the tap, you would be best off just buying a new one. If it was the drill, yes they can be repointed, but it's more work than it's worth. (Unless you have a Drill Doctor or something similar.)

(One thing I do when I have broken the tip off a tap is to turn it into a bottoming tap (for blind holes) by grinding the remaining tip flat.)
  3. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

No This is a drill bit not the tap.
    It's a 3-flute drill bit #28 for a 8x40 tap.
    Thanks
    Mike
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I've seen people work really hard at it, Goofy, but as drill bits are rather cheap, I won't bother to do it myself.

And even if it's an expensive bit, that just means its made out of a metal that is difficult to work with, so doing it on an expensive bit is that much more of a hassle (if you even ever get there).
    What's that bit cost from Brownells? $20 each? What's your billing rate, $50/hour? So that means you've got 24 minutes to salvage that bit or you'd have been better off spending that time working for someone else. Less time than that if you cost more.
  5. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Yep Thats good logic.:thumbsup:
    I did not think it was worth it.(if it was possible)
    Ordered 2 so I have one extra(thought I already had a extra):dontknow:
    Thanks allot!!!
    Mike
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The Brownells catalog I have shows them at $7 to gunsmiths. Very nice drills, but not necessary for most jobs. I used them only for rifles like the M1903A3.

Jim
  7. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

This broke on a Marlin 336 it's not too hard of steel I suppose it was just it's time to break.
    I was lucky on this one just the tip fractured.
    Mike
  8. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Ive been using the bit from ACE Tool supply. They are expensive but a lifetime warrenty so if it breaks they send new ones. Ive sharpened a few bits bc they were my last ones and I needed to finish up a job but otherwise its not worth it. I use a high speed belt sander and a holding jig if it comes to that. Usually only endmills and lathe bits are worth sharpening.
  9. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

If you do alot of drill work, then a DrillDr is a good investment. You can touch up all your bits before each job to ensure a good sharp bit and have it done at the proper angle. The XP2 model runs around $95, so pays for itself if you go through more than 10 or so bits per year. AND, you will always have sharp bits at hand, no more worry about having a dull bit and making a trip to the hardware store.
    If you've never used one, it's a very useful tool.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Second the drill Dr. They are freekin awesome..