Broomhandle Mauser

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by flintlock, Dec 27, 2011.

1. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

I'm looking for any ideas on an action problem I'm having with a broomhandle Mauser. The pistol will chamber and fire the first round, but then the bolt does not cycle. When I pull the bolt back, the fired round extracts, and releasing the bolt chambers the next round, which will fire, and repeats the cycle. I put a set of Wolff springs into last week in an effort to solve this problem, thought maybe the old springs might have given out, but no change in firing. I keep it well oiled, not dripping the oil anywhere, but enough to keep everything moving smoothly. Any thoughts on what I'm missing? It is a 7.63 Mauser caliber. Thanks.
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

What ammunition are you using?
  3. flintlock

I am using Fiocchi 7.63 mauser ammo.
  4. dustydog

dustydog New Member

Check the chamber for roughness/erosion near the throat.Had a couple that had the same problem,and the Fiocchi brass is a bit soft for the round,as well as being loaded to the lowest possible pressure.Does the breech cycle with any stiffness?Also,does the breech simply sit there after a round is fired,or does it move back a little?
  5. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

That is most likely the problem. Not enough recoil impulse. The C96 uses the heavy bolt/block inertia and stiff mainspring to retard bolt velocity, so it can be pretty finicky about ammunition. Not like there is a lot of 7.63 Mauser out there to choose from, though.
  6. flintlock

It seems like the breech just sits there, I didn't see any movement. I'll check the throat, I wouldn't be surprised to find roughness or erosion. I was thinking of having it relined of maybe bored out to 9mm when this started. I just haven't convinced myself to do that with an old timer like this. I used to be able to get surplus 7.63 that cycled the gun fine. Maybe the current loads are too mild. Thanks for your thoughts.