broomhandle stock

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

ibtrukn
    (5/13/01 4:47:49 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All broomhandle stock
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    have a mauser broomhandle holster/stock that has some fair size cracks in it and a chunk out of it where it took a hit from a bullet as the story goes. came from a family of marine major who served 30+ years starting in 1927. have bought some of his other thing from the family so am willing to go along with the story. i'd like some advice on whether to repair the wood or leave it alone. other than those faults it does not have a serial #, but i understand that some did and some didnt. also have cleaning jag(unmarked) that came along. doea this fit inside the holster somehow or what. any and all advice will be apreciated its not bad at all and functions perfectly. thanx

AntiqueDr
    (5/13/01 5:09:32 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: broomhandle stock
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If there was any type of documentation with it about the bullethole story, it would definitely need to be left as is. Without that, a restoration may be in order PROVIDED it is very carefully done by someone that knows Broomhandles. Attention would have to be paid to the age, etc.

You may run into the situation where the restoration costs can exceed the resultant value.

Purveyor of Fine Firearms to the Enlightened Few
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Bob In St Louis
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (5/13/01 7:04:09 pm)
    I agree with AntiqueDr - you always need to balance several factors as to collectability, history, cost of restoration, etc. Frankly, I would clean it as well as possible, saddle soap the leather parts, oil and rub the wood, then leave as is.

If anyone is just looking for a functional rig, there are a lot of nearly new stock and harness rigs that came out of China. These rigs were more recently made, but you can pick one up for about $100.00. I believe it is Brickley Trading Company in California that has them, and SARCO in New Jersey.
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

ibtrukn
    (5/14/01 8:39:50 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del broomhandle stock
    thanx guys, i will ponder this and check around. may just decide to sell the whole rig, thanx again

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (5/14/01 11:17:50 am)
    If he was a Marine in '27, he probably was in the 4th, or the Shanghai detachment, ie, a China Marine.

The Broomhandle was VERY popular in China then, with bandits, warlords, Nationalist troops, etc., and MANY China Marines brought them home...

His story and timeline fits together well, I'd be interested in hearing "the rest of the story..."

It might be interesting.

ibtrukn
    (5/20/01 10:30:27 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del broomhandle stock
    Yo AD, Bob, et all: have decided to leave the stock "as is" after talking locally to a couple of guys that forgot more than i can hope to Know, and were good enuff to share their expertise as you-all have the operating end of this is 100% matching including grips and the stock, and it probably goes about 95% cosmetically. ah yes it's a"conehammer" also. wish it was a 6 shot or a "turk" or step-barrel but ya cant have everything. still, q