Brother shot himself today with

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JUNKKING, Aug 30, 2011.

1. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

This evening my Brother was loading some shotgun shells with a mec 600 Jr. He accidentally knocked over a shell and we're guessing a piece of shot fell into the primer seat. As he pulled the lever to press a primer in he heard bang and felt the burn in his stomach and arm. He went to the hospital to see if anything was in his skin and before he knew it the leos were there to ask questions. They left and when he went home his daughter told him they came to the house and wanted to see what he was doing. When they seen the shell with mutilated brass they went on their way. I guess they thought he shot himself or someone shot him. Easy to laugh now but he was pretty shaken up at the time. Fortunately they were all surface wounds. Live and learn I mean load and learn.
  2. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

damn! glad hes ok. that would hurt like all hell.
  3. Chinook

Chinook New Member

That is pretty intense. Glad he's alright, and what a way to make you aware... of everything. Again, glad it turned out as well as it did.
  4. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

Sure do hate to hear news like that, glad he is OK.
    Thanks for making us aware of such a thing. Never would have thought of it.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Help me out here. I'm confused.

He got a piece of shot in the primer seater, and when priming a shell, it popped the primer. I got that.

How did he get hurt? What burned his stomach? Why were the cops called? Why did the cops show up at his house?

The only way I can make any sense of that would be if he was priming a loaded shell, but the priming station is the FIRST station. You prime an empty hull. So, if the primer popped, the flash would go up the empty case into nothingness, right?
  6. watsisname

watsisname Member

I guess it doesn't really matter how it happened, the important thing is that he is OK. ;)
  7. rosierita

rosierita New Member

i'm glad he's OKAY!
  8. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I too am confused about how it happened, but not about why the cops were called. It's pretty standard that a hospital will call the police for every injury involving a firearm. While this one did not involve a shotgun, that's about the only thing the nurse likely understood from the story. "Blah, blah, blah, blah, reloading :confused: blah, blah, blah, shotgun." Terms like "primer seat" likely meant nothing to the ER nurse, so she just associated the injury with a firearm.
  9. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

@Alpo, I wasn't there I didn't see the hull. I don't know if the hull split or if a piece of the brass from the tip of the primer broke off. The hospital called the police and they went to see if he had shot himself or what happened. He said he has a spot on his arm and one on his stomach where he got burned and the skin was broken. He went to the hospital to make sure nothing penetrated him.
  10. 45nut

45nut New Member

A primer exploding like that would cause the brass in the shotgun shell to become shrapnel and junkking's brother went to the hospital to make sure the bb or some shrapnel didn't poke a hole in him.

Having seen a primer explode during the reloading process, it makes sense to me.
  11. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Yep, the medical staff, even if they understand the happenstance perfectly, are required to report it as firearm related. It's the job of the authorities to rule on the exact nature and scope of that involvement. Same as teachers, medical personel, etc. are "required" to report signes of possible child abuse.
  12. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I am just glad he was ok.
  13. JLA

JLA Moderator

Glad hes OK junk.
  14. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Sure glad this one had a happy ending!
    That's one to remember though, don't spill junk in the trunk!
  15. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Active Member

Sounds like a good reason to ban re-loading. Really glad he wasn't hurt bad.
  16. Willie

Willie Active Member

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  17. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Glad he's OK and that the LEO's used some common sense when they saw the evidence...
  18. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

Years ago, after a few adult beverages, (how many ugly stories start that way?) I was in the basement reloading, and I thought, (using the term very loosly) if I drill holes into a board, the size of 209 primmers, and my sons and I stand accross the room, we could shoot them with a bb gun and they would go "BANG". Oh what fun! So I found the right size bit, drilled the holes, and place the primmers in the holes. Then called my three sons to the basement and told them my plan. My middle son took a daisy bb gun. about 12-13 years old and.. (Not only did I not think about the bb bouncing back, and I never even thought about safety glasses or much of anything, but,,,) he aimed, fired, "BANG" and then screamed in pain. The center of the primmer had come back and hit him on his cheek. Not only did it go into his cheek, but it was red hot when it went into his flesh. I rushed him to the local ER and they surgically removed the piece of metal. The doctor gave me several glances that said "you are an idiot aren't you?" and "what were you thinking?" Luckly the shrapnel didn't hit his eye, and nothing else, other than constant pangs of guilt and a feeling of stupidity, came from it.
    If nothing else, I would hope some of you could use this as a "don't be this dumb" and "please wear safety glasses all the time" story.
    My son is in his thirties and still has a scar on his cheek. Luckily his still loves me. I still have nightmares about my lack of thinking.
  19. JLA

JLA Moderator

I have had 2 close calls with shooting myself.. Both instances with .22 magnum.

1st time I almost shot myself in the foot trying to fan my ruger single six. Long story, so heres the short version.. It was already cocked when i squeezed the trigger during the draw to fan it. I felt the wind off the bullet graze my leg and the bullet hit the ground beside my right foot.

Second time I was shooting a steel plate at 25 yds with a rifle and the bullet ricochet back and hit me in the belly. I still have the scar. I extracted the bullet myself with my pocket knife because I didnt want the LEOs involved, and kept it doctored with alcohol and peroxide. it healed fine, but I did more damage with the uncle henry getting the bullet out than the bullet did when it went in. The scar looks like I was shot with a .380..
  20. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Good story and I think most of us had done something stupid. I recall when I was about 14 I seen a guy on tv light a stick match with a bb gun. Lightbulb over head went on I had to try this. I had a bb trap filled with newspaper in my bedroom I used to shoot at daily. I stuck a match in the target and must have shot 2000 shots over a few week period not one hit on the match that would light it. One day I was laying on my bed and my phone rang I answered it talking to a girl I was madly in love with at the time and the gun was loaded. I just pointed it at the target no aim and squeezed the trigger to clear the gun. A few seconds later I looked the entire box was in flames out of control lol. I ran to the bathroom and got the trash can and filled it with water returning to find the curtains on fire. I threw the water and went for more water after about 5 cans of water it was out and the whole second floor filled with smoke not to mention the burnt curtains and black soot all over the walls and the smell. How was I gonna explain this. Well my Butt was sore for quite awhile all shooting was revoked for a long long time. wall washing and painting was my new gig I didnt get the bb rifle back until 2001 when my father passed away I brought it home and it was never fired since the day of the fire. Live and learn lol. I laugh now but this could have been a tragedy for my family.