Browning 12 Light Auto 5

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by quixilver, May 7, 2012.

1. quixilver

quixilver New Member

Just picked up a Browning 12 Light Auto 5 and I'm a bit confused on the serial number. The serial number has a "7G" then below it says "81247." I think judging by the browning website, it is from 1967 and a "light" model and the 81247 is just the production number. Can anyone confirm this? Also what you think the gun is worth in this condition? It seems pretty good for it's age.

Here is a link I found to try and date the gun.
    http://www.browning.com/customerservice/dategun/detail.asp?id=13

Here are some pics!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. quixilver

quixilver New Member

3. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

The info. you have seems to be right(According to the Blue Book)
    As for a value it looks to have some pitting and almost looks like it was touched up.
    I would say (without having it in my hands to check for any touch ups) It is worth between $500-$600 more or less.
    I am sure there will be others here that will give a closer value.
    Mike
  4. quixilver

quixilver New Member

Cool, thanks. That's about what I was thinking. I only paid $350 for it, so I got a deal :cool:

What makes you think it was touched up? How can you tell?
  5. wiesjon

wiesjon New Member

From the pics I see, there is no pitting at all and the gun is in very good to excellent condition. I have 5 Browning auto 5's. You would be very lucky to find one for sale in the condition of yours for 5-600.00. Keep it. In my opinion they are one of the best shotguns ever made.
  6. mixologist

mixologist New Member

What, if any, would the original box and receipt add to the value of a gun like this?
  7. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

do u guys keep the box it came in?
  8. mixologist

mixologist New Member

I inherited a gun just like the one in the picture and in similar condition. It has the original box and receipt and I was wondering if that would increase the value?