Browning 16 Ga Auto5

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by dtigan, Jan 17, 2009.

1. dtigan

dtigan New Member

I have a Browning Semi Auto 16 Gauge shotgun. I don't think it is a "Sweet 16" it does not say that anywhere on the gun. There is the following Ser # X61531 on the barrle, forestock and the receiver.

This is a great gun and I would never part with it but I would like some more information on it. Can anyone help out?
  2. PetahW

PetahW New Member

You have a Browning A-5 Standard, from 1952.
  3. dtigan

dtigan New Member

Thanks, it is a beautiful gun. I do mostly pheasant hunting in Minnesota and So Dakota. The choke reads full and they were serious. I seem to be able to reach out there and knock them down when others cannot. Easy to carry and a joy to use. Thanks for your help.
  4. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

My son has gotten the "humpback" bug, right after he got the 16 guage "bug.":p

He inherited my Dad's 16 ga 11-48 Remington, and got into shooting it (not very well!) with his buddy at the local Skeet range.

The next gun show I was going to in November, he asked if he could tag along, since he wanted to buy a handgun or an AK before Obama took over and banned them all, and he showed up with $600 or so of bonus money from his job.

Halfway through the show, he bought an 11-48 in 12 guage really cheap, because it had a polychoke, reasoning it would "match" Grandpa's 16. and he might have better luck with it at skeet.

Then he disappears with his girlfriend and his buddy, and an hour or two later he calls me on my cell, asking if I was about done, and casually mentions he's buying a Sweet 16, and I said something like "Yeah, right," and said I'd meet him at the door

Lo and behold if the smart@ss doesn't show up at the door with his girlfriend lugging the 11-48, and he with a Sweet 16 over his shoulder! (I told him first, if she's willing to carry his guns she's a "keeper!":p)

He got a "Well Used but Used well" late 1950s Belgium Sweet 16, maybe 50% finish, but gold trigger, sharp engraving, nice wood.

He said he actually was going back to buy a 16ga Model 97 at that table he had seen earlier, but next thing he knew he saw the Browning, and before he knew it he was haggling, and got it for $385, which I thought was pretty good. He's shot it a few rounds of skeet, and says there is a difference in Browning choke designations vs Remingtons, from his research and shooting.

Anyway, last weekend he comes to the show with me again, this time with only $600 but vowing to buy a good used .45 or an AK, and next thing you know he's looking at every Humpback on every table that has one, even has me looking.

He spots an old browning A-5 in 12 guage, not a "Light 12" which is what he fell in love with earlier in the show, but a really early Belgium with "Fabrique..." prominently on the side, not Browning (it's there really small,) with the old style Remington fore and aft safety, for $650, next thing I know he's haggling, and got it for $500...

Turns out it is a 1932, in about 95% metal, that we think was reblued at some time but done well if it was, sharp engraving and IMMACULATE wood with sharp checkering.

He is well on his way to a nice Browning "Long Recoil" collection, without even intending.....but still doesn't have a decent handgun OR an AK yet:p

Maybe next show....