1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Browning 300 win mag best load data?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by GW1, Nov 5, 2010.

1. GW1

GW1 New Member

I am trying to find an accurate load for my browning bar 300 win. mag. and I called browning and they will give no reloading information at all. A lot of help they are. Does anyone here have any experience shooting the BAR in a 300 win mag that has some suggestions for me? Thanks.

GW1
  2. lawdawg

lawdawg Member

I don't think it has so much to do with the brand of gun as it does with the individual gun itself. one Browning .300 mag may shoot totally different from another Browning .300mag. My advice would be to work up the load for your gun and see what it likes the best. Typically gun manufacturers do not support the reloading hobby and some will even void their warranty if they determine you have shot reloads in your gun. Your manual will probably have a disclaimer notice in it warning against shooting reloads. Although it is a safe hobby when done correctly, many people will take shortcuts or ignore safety procedures when reloading causing unsafe and gun-damaging pressures. So the gun industry kinda frowns on the whole hobby as a result. Sorta like the automotive industry voiding warranties when novice "mechanics" start trying to tweak the engine on their new car.
  3. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

Most reloading manuals will show you what powder has the greater potential for accuracy in any given caliber. Normally this can be used as a starting point for load development.
  4. GW1

GW1 New Member

I understand there are a lot of people that take shortcuts, and I'm sure they are not the ones on these forums trying to do the right thing. I know that the best thing to do is work up my own load for my particular 300 win mag, but I have tried several loads with not very much luck finding something that exactly works. I just thought I would find someone that shoots a BAR 300 win mag that has a pretty good place to start. My grandfather gave me this gun and I haven't had any place to start. All my reloading friends think that auto-loaders are junk and I want to prove them wrong. I guess I will go back to the ole' drawing board and start somewhere.
  5. GW1

GW1 New Member

Its funny you mention the accuracy loads. I have tried them and I guess my gun is just one of those finicky guns that just needs to have it it's way. LOL.
  6. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

RL-22, IMR 7828 H4831 for powders my lyman manual says best results with standard Winchester primers
  7. GW1

GW1 New Member

That is one thing I have not tried. I have only been reloading for about a year and a half and I usually go by what the books say. I have been using only mag primers and didn't even think about using large rifle primers. I will give them a try and see what kind of difference they make. I am trying to get a sierra 165g hollow point boat tail dialed in this time. My gun really hates accubond and hornady 165g bullets. I will see how the sierras pattern. Thanks for the advice.
  8. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

What powder are you using?
  9. huston_farms

huston_farms New Member

I have had very good results with IMR 4831 powder in my 300's. I dont have an auto but this is the best powder i've used in my Remington 700 300's. The Speer book shows a load of 72 gr. IMR 4831 as a starting point and up to 76 gr. for a 150 gr bullet with velocities of 2971 to 3194fps. I tried to work up an accuracy load for a Ruger Mini-30 that i bought new. I found that my accuracy greatly diminished as i had to increase the crimp. It was fine when i loaded one round at a time on the bench, but when i load the mag i have issues with the bullets pulling out of the casing when it cycled. Im sure there are guys here that are way smarter then i am on loading for an auto, but I just wanted to share my experience and give a word of caution. I'll stick to bolt guns and single shots for my rifle reloading...
  10. GW1

GW1 New Member

I am using IMR 4831 this time around. with Sierra 165 hp
  11. GW1

GW1 New Member

I have a gemsbok hunt in NM in March and would like to have enough gun to put one of those antelope down in one shot. I know they are very tough and with the right placement and enough umph, I will be successful. I just need to get the right placement now.
  12. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

somewhere in the 67.5-75.0 range if that doesn't work try a heavier180-220 grain bullet.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  13. GW1

GW1 New Member

Thanks for the advice. I will go out and test all my different loads tomorrow. First I have to take my daughter deer hunting and after she harvests her deer I will go to the range and test lead. Thanks again.

Jon--
  14. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

what factory fodder does you BAR prefer?