Browning 9mm information?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Zane71464, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

This is a friend of mine's Browning 9mm that he brought out
    to show me and asked if I'd be interested in buying it. I know nothing about the gun.
    It was his dad's gun that he got back about 35 years ago.
    On the left side it reads:
    FABRIQUE NATIONALE D'ARMES DE GUERRE
    HERSTAL BELGIQE
    BROWNING'S PATENT DEPOSE On the left side it is stamped
    with the caliber: CAL.9m/m R, And the Serial # = 47782
    It's got the original Holster and extra 10rd. clip. The serial numbers
    all match, gun and both clips. What I'd like to know is it a Browning's 1911
    model? And what is the year of manufacture, and also what the value of it would be
    as is? Ive got pics attached and the gun is in excellent condition. And it shoot's
    real good! I know very little about this type pistol and any and all information on
    this gun would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I'd buy it.
  3. Danny

Danny Member

:eek:JUMP ON IT FOR SURE!
    Danny:)
  4. Zane71464

Well I probably will, I just dont know a thing about it, or even it's worth.
    I dont even know if it is considered a 1911 model or anything...I just dont have any knowledge at all about these types of guns. I dont even know what would be a fair price to offer him. I do know I want it pretty bad, but would like to know all about it first.
  5. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    appears to be a browning hi power,it looks to be in very good shape.the value i will only guess.if i cant hold it in my hand im hesitant to answer.i think a good price for it would be around 300-350.00 i doubt if it is worth less i would think it would go for more. sorry thats the best i can do for you old semperfi
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It is a Browning High Power, made by FN in Belgium. It is not a "1911", that term being used for the U.S. Army Model 1911 pistol, also designed by John Browning and originally made by Colt. It is a commercial model, though it might have been used as a military pistol by some country; the holster appears to be original to the gun.

If it is as good as it looks, $600-700 would be about right with the holster.

Jim
  7. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

I think you are getting good advice. That is a very desirable piece. Variables such as date of manufacture or internal/external extractor can make big differences in value but they are all to the up side. Check it out as well as you can as to just what you are looking at and then jump on it.
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That gun has the old internal extractor, which makes it more valuable on the collector market. IMHO, the external extractor is better for a using gun, though.

Jim
  9. Zane71464

Alright, my friend was leaning towards $500. So with that I definatly think its well worth that.
    I was wondering if there is a way to find out what year it was made with the serial number on it?
    And I thank you for the info on this. I sorta knew it wasnt a 1911 model, but never owend or even shot a Browning (made) pistol. I just never had any experiance with one. I did take it out and shoot it several rounds and it shoots very well, and as far as the time I had shooting it and with daylight burning, it seemed to be pretty accurate. I just wonder what year it was manufactured?
  10. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

I'm a bit puzzled when you say that the gun belonged to your friend's dad, and that it comes whit an extra 10 round clip, with matching serial numbers. To the best of my knowledge,(correct me if I'm wrong) 10 rounders appeared in 1994-95 in the U.S.A. due to the federal limit in mag. capacities. So how a gun that old has a matching 10 round mag?. Original, Belgian made Hi- Powers should be 14 shooters.
  11. Zane71464

That's my bad on that one, they both are 14 round clips.
    My bad! I knew they were 14 round clips when I put this thread on here but while typing it out, I was thinking of my (Ruger 9mm) that I shoot alot.
  12. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. I'll sleep better tonight.:)
  13. Zane71464

Well glad you brought the mis-typed information to my attention, as per it was way off base. :eek:
  14. Kestral

Kestral Member

My H/Power was purchased in 1978,it has fired a minimum of 45,000 rds since that time,the only part replaced was the firing pin,its the last one in my collection I`d part with.
  15. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I have been doing some digging and want to comment on what I wrote above. That serial number would be pre-war. Vanderlinden says that numbers 44500-45000 (approximately) and 51000-52500 were in the FN warehouse at the time of the German occupation. Unlike later pistols made under the occupation, those had the full Belgian proof markings and were accepted by the Germans without putting on the Waffenamt stamp.* However, he also says all were tangent sight models. As you see, yours falls into that general range, but does not have the tangent sight.

The holster looks German. Could you check for markings on it, either on the back or under the flap?

*Which is what first confused me; on the guns made under the occupation, the Germans did their own proofing and their Waffenamt proof/acceptance stamp was used instead of the Belgian proof markings.

Jim