Browning A bolt for custom build?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Hamish., Jul 22, 2009.

1. Hamish.

Hamish. New Member

Can someone please explain to me why no one seems to use the Browning A bolt action and in particular the titanium action for custom rifle builds? I like my Browning A bolt stainless stalker but would like to build a lightweight custom on a titanium action. I prefer my A bolt over my friends Remington 700 and thought an A bolt titanium in 7mm saum with a 24inch fluted barrel in a nice lightweight stock would make a real nice light mountain rifle for hunting over here in New Zealand.

But it seems I might be mistaken :confused:...
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

simple reason- price. Grade 5 Titanium is highly expensive. In fact a block of titanium that would be required to mill a receiver for a A bolt would probably be close to 600.00. Plus you have to still mill it out of a solid block which is a feat in itself. Titanium (from what I remember in school when we were making small parts) was a very slow milling process. Its a very strong metal but its not forgiving at all. So unless people are willing to start shelling out 2000.00 for a receiver, you may be alone in your request.
  3. fyimo

fyimo New Member

The Browning A Bolt is a really great rifle and I would guess that the action isn't chosen for custom rifles by the makers of these gun is that the customers of these guns generally want an action as close to a pure Mauser type with claw extractor as they can get. Look at the screaming that happened when Winchester dropped the claw extractor in 1964.:eek:

I own on custom rifle that was built on a K98 Mauser action with a douglass premium barrel and a beautiful wood stock built in the early 80's. I got the rifle in an exceptionally good deal and to replace it today would cost many thousands of dollars. I had a sister gun to this one in 25-06 that I gave to my son. :)

I own and enjoy my stainless Browning A bolt in 30-06 with a wood stock so don't think I'm not a fan of Browning A bolt rifles.
  4. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

My eldest son has a Browning A-Bolt in .270WSM that will pattern at 300 yards within the area covered by a quarter. He is very pleased after it was tuned by his gunsmith.