browning a5 16 gauge help

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by shawnc, Feb 9, 2011.

1. shawnc

shawnc New Member

ok guys i have a problem. i have a browning a5 16 gauge that was passed on to me from my great uncle a couple of years back when he passed. what im tryin to do is identify the gun and from what i see on brownings web site i dont know if im just not reading it correctly or what but any way i dont under stand it the s/n i have is and there is also a marking of on it any help that you can give me in figuring out when it was made will be greatly appreacated. at this point all i do know for sure is that it was made in belgum as it is stamped as such and it also does have the f/n butt plate on it. again thanks in advance.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  2. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

When my sone inherited my Dad's 16 gauge Remington, he joined a "16 Gauge Society" on line (sorry I don't know the link, you will have to search for it but it shouldn't be too hard, just Google it below)

Anyway, when he bought his Browning Sweet 16 they helped him research it, or directed him where to look for it, and then when he later bought his Belgian A5 12 gauge he got a wealth of information on it from wherever he looked also.

I will email him and see if he remembers any of the sites he checked.
  3. Larry the Gun Guy

Larry the Gun Guy New Member

Good Morning Shawn;

The R series guns are standard 16 gauge shotguns as opposed to the S series which are Sweet Sixteens. Your gun was made around November of 1956.
  4. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

Firearms made outside the USA will have proof marks on them.:D