Browning A5 Malfunction

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

TMax
    (12/1/02 11:52:59 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All A5 Browning Help
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I need help with a Belgium A5 12 ga. Magnum. I got this gun in pieces in a box and have gotten it all back together except for when I fire it I cannot get the shells to eject from the chamber. Once the shell is fired, it is easily extracted by fulling back on the bolt handle. The problem is that when its fired, the action is not cycleing at all. I suspect that the gas rings and springs are not installed correctly, but I am not sure. Could someone point me to a good illustration? I do know that these could be set up to shoot 2 and 3/4 or 3" dependant upon how you installed the rings. Please help!!!!!
    Thanks in advance!
    Tim

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/2/02 2:26:17 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: A5 Browning Help
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The A-5 is a recoil operated shotgun. The rings are friction brakes that slow the moving barrel down. The more rings that are put in the slower the gun barrel and action will move thus absorbing recoil.

You can get a free owners manual for this gun here

www.browning.com/products...anuals.htm

You can date when the gun was made here

www.browning.com/services...ategun.htm

A diagram of how the friction rings are put in can be found here

www.browning.com/faq/detail.asp?ID=105

The diagram for the 3" Magnum A-5 is about half way down the page, just a second and I will post it.

THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS ARE ONLY FOR 3-INCH 12 AND 20 GAUGE MODELS, NOT FOR THE 2 3/4" LIGHT 12 GAUGE OR 2 3/4" LIGHT 20 GAUGE AUTOMATIC. SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS ARE PROVIDED FOR THOSE MODELS IN A SEPARATE MANUAL.

This picture is to set the gun up for 3" shells

A great deal of attention has gone into the design of the recoil absorbing mechanism to minimize the recoil of the big 3-inch magnum loads as much as possible. This recoil mechanism is specially arranged for those loads. As shown, it consists of a large spring, two friction brakes and three coned friction rings. (See Figure 3.)

1. With the butt of the stock down and the magazine tube pointing up, one friction ring is placed on top of the spring with the beveled surface UP, on top of which a friction brake is placed.
    2. The second friction ring is placed on top of it with the beveled surface DOWN.
    3. The third ring is then placed back to back, that is, with its beveled surface UP. The second friction brake is place on top of it. This is the correcton position for all 3-inch magnums loads.
    4. The three friction rings and the two friction brakes are identical to each other and may be placed in any position for ring or brake within the prescribed arrangement.

If the correct position of all the recoil components is not maintaine you will get unnecessary recoil which will severly pound the mechanism of your gun.

This picture is to set the gun up for 2 3/4 shells

Settings for Shooting 2 3/4" High Velocity and Steel Shot Loads

This gun has been designed specially for the 3-inch magnum loads. However 2 3/4" magnum loads or 2 3/4" high velocity loads may be used if the recoil mechanism is adjusted as follows:

1. Remove the top friction brake and the top two friction rings as shown in figure 4. This is also the correct setting for all steel shot loads. The top friction rings and brake should be removed entirely and not simply placed under the recoil spring.
    2. Be sure that the removed parts are placed in a safe place where they will not be lost. You will undoubtedly want to later readjust your gun to 3-inch magnum loads.

NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES REMOVE THE BRONZE FRICTION PIECE FROM ITS POSITION REARWARD OF THE BARREL GUIDE RING. If the gun is fired with either the friction ring or the recoil guide spring in direct contact with the barrel guide ring, the rear surface of the barrel guide ring will be deformed. Removal of the bronze friction piece permits an excess of recoil. You will be getting unnecessary recoil, thereby pounding the mechanism of your gun severely.

You will note, however, that the mechanism must receive a certain amount of force if it is to operate automatically. The addition of any sort of weight to a barrel will have somewhat the same effect. When such factors as these are introduced, care must be given to suitable adjustment of the friction ring setting. It is desirable to utilize the setting for heavy loads as long as the mechanism functions properly. When resistance to recoil is too great to permit proper ejection, the light load setting should be used.

Hope the above helps. The settings are differeant for the 20 gauge, the Light 12 and the 16. Those settings can be found at the above links.

Many people have had great problems getting the A-5 magnum to shoot the lighter 2 3/4" loads. The owners manual for the A-5 magnum says it it fine to use some oil on the magazine tube if this is the case. Through extensive testing I have found that Birchwood Casey Synthetic gun oil to work the best for this. It only takes a light coating of oil on the magazine tube to let the friction rings slide enought to allow dependable ejection. Remember this is only for getting the light target loads to function. Do not use oil for 3" or the 2 3/4 field and hunting loads.

Edited by: warpig883 at: 12/2/02 2:29:40 pm

TMax
    (12/5/02 10:10:36 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Great Help on the A-5
    Wow! This is just what I was looking for. I have the Browning shaking and baking now. Thanks for the expert help!!! It couldn't have gotten any better!

TMax
  2. ptrumble1

ptrumble1 New Member

If it not something simple like the friction ring or rings then you better take it to someone who knows what they are doing. Assuming you have not already hurt the action. I have owned many A5's and knew better than fully dissasemble one. No need too, they always shot and will even dirty.