Browning A5

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mike77351, Nov 16, 2012.

1. mike77351

mike77351 New Member

I have a Browning A5 that I am trying to age. I have read several threads and checked the Browing web site and checked the serial number which tells me the weapon is pre 1940, the confusion come from when i read the post on this site some things matched up and others didn't. the serial no. is 32xxx, it has the butt plate with Browing Automatic around the FN. the receiver is lightly engraved and it has a profile of a man on the left side with Browing engraved above it. the barrel is stamped Browning Arms Company St. Louis Mo. & Montreal PQ Made in Belgium special steel 12 gage shell 2 3/4. the weapon is a fine shooter and i have taken game with it, its not going any where just want to know more Thanks for any info
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

If the serial number is 32xxx (no letters) the gun is definitely pre 1940, in fact c. 1905. The barrel is a post WWII replacement barrel made in Belgium and marked for sale in the U.S. That is probably why things don't seem to match up.

Jim