Browning Auto 5 12ga

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by mhack33, Mar 14, 2010.

1. mhack33

mhack33 New Member

My dad and I are looking to purchase a gun similar to my grandfather's 1956 Christmas present that was from the family. This gun was stolen 15 years ago so our memories and information are faded. We know that it held 5 rounds, was the typical humpback design, it had checkering on the stock and the foregrip. We know it was semi auto, it did not have a vented rib, it did have a reddish brown recoil pad, and it was manufactured before 1955, and it did not have a gold trigger.

Here is the confusion, the entire family thinks it was a Browning A5. One member is sure that it had pheasants engraved on the side or ducks of some sort. Every A5 style shotgun I have seen that has pheasants is either a Remington or a Savage. All of the Brownings seem to have the typical ornate scrollwork but none that I have found have pheasants. We have lost any other information, and can't seem to find any pictures.

So here is my question, did Browning ever produce a 12ga with pheasants, humpback, 5 shot, no vented rib, no gold trigger? Any info is greatly appreciated.
  2. Sandman

Sandman Member

I am not sure about pheasants engraved on an A-5, but I do know that Remington made an A-5 knock-off at one point long ago. I think it was a Remington Model 11. Maybe that is what he had.
  3. Charlie the sniper

Charlie the sniper New Member

England, thats the USN aircraft carrier near europ
    I have seen Belgium made Browning A5's (FN) with pheasants engraved on the reciever.
    I also believe some of these were sold in the U.S.A.
    Also with Ducks,Dogs and over wildlife scenes. I think the offered 4 grades of engraving too......but don't quote me.
  4. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

mhack33, is this like the gun you are referring to?
    Mine is a Remington "SPORTSMAN", it is of the Remington model 11 family, copy of an A-5 made by FN for browning. The one I have was made in 1947, and only holds 3 shells. I hope the pics help?

Attached Files: