Browning Auto-5 Buttstock

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 23, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

drsck
    (10/21/01 10:11:55 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Browning A5 Stock
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear Folks: The little gun shop where I help out once in a while as part of my therapy has a Browning A5 on the shelf that they just can't seem to get rid of. It's a Belgium round knob 12 ga. and the metal is in very good shape. The problem is the stock. It's just really plain and it's been scruffed up quite a bit. I was thinking a new stock may make it move quicker. The question is 1) are all A5 stocks the same? 2) if there are differences, what do I have to look for to make sure that the stock I buy actually fits the gun I want to put it on? Your help and advise will be greatly appreciated. Thank you -- Steve

warpig883
    (10/21/01 10:35:45 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Browning A5 Stock
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have seen them swapped from a old one to a newer one with no problems. I do believe they are all the same as long as you stay with the same guage. Browning still sells these stocks new on their website and many other places offer them.
    Don't mind me, I am a blithering idiot:)

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/21/01 11:36:18 pm)
    The A5 stocks can be swapped within gauge, and new production stocks will fit older Belgian guns. A true collector WILL be able to spot this however, from the buttplate and type of finish.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

shooter22
    (10/22/01 9:03:23 pm)
    Oh How I wish I knew! I saw a mint round knob A5 stock at the Tulsa show last weekend. The guy wanted $250 for it. It was unbelievable. This show only happens twice a year, and the next one is in april. If you are interested in april, I will be going and can keep an eye out. I am going to another show this weekend, and will keep an eye out. Is there any way that I can get a hold of you if I find something. I will have to call you, the show is a 100 miles from where I live. If interested, let me know. I love looking for stuff.

shooter22

Edited by: shooter22 at: 10/22/01 10:04:18 pm

drsck
    (10/24/01 7:23:50 am)
    Dear Folks: Thanks for all the thoughts and advise.

Dear Antique Dr. With regard to the collector spotting the difference, yes, of course you're right, but right now nobody is spotting it at all. It was just a thought to try to make it more attractive. I haven't decided whether to go ahead with it or not.

Dear Shooter: With regard to the Tulsa show, yes, I hear it's a great show and I've always wanted to go. I even got to meet Mr. Wanamaker a few years ago at an OGCA show in Cleveland. He seemed like a very nice fellow. The October show is always near my birthday and I thought that going would be an appropriate present to myself, but then something always interfers. I'll put the April show on the calander and try again. But now if I had a more pressing reason to attend, it might help. I seem to recall a handfull of .22 cal rifles in the basement that need a new home. Do you know anyone who might be attending Tulsa who'd be interested? In the meantime, thank you for the offer of looking for a stock, but I think I'll wait some more. However, there is one part I would very much like you to look for, if you're willing? I desparately need the front band for a Berthier Rifle. You probably have seen them, they have a stacking stud attached. Try to keep the price under $50 and if you find one, just let me know at kottsykr@zoomtown.com or 513-531-5737.

Thanks again, Steve

Edited by: drsck at: 10/24/01 8:28:23 am

shooter22
    (10/24/01 8:33:30 pm)
    DRSCK, Yeah I know about the show being near the b-day thing. Mine was the last day of the show. I will lookout for the part. I did a search on auction arms and they had several A5 stocks, I would think that Brandx and Ebay probably would also. Searching for hard to find items is kind of a hobby for me. I like the challenge. I'll keep my eye's open. You got a ruger 10/22 mag?

shooter22

drsck
    (10/25/01 12:09:06 am)
    Dear Shooter: The store where I help, always has the standard 10/22 mags. Unfortunately, the high capacity ones are few and far between. If you want a standard one, just let me know along with an address of where to send it (or them if you want more than one) Best wishes -- Steve

shooter22
    (10/25/01 1:37:29 am)
    Oooops, sorry for the lack of information. I meant 10/22 Magnum. I can get for dealer cost, but i am looking to build on a used action. Looking for a bargain!

shooter22

Edited by: shooter22 at: 10/25/01 4:09:32 am

shooter22
    (10/25/01 3:08:36 am)
    drsck, I think I may have found both the a5 stock part and the Berthier barrel band withstacking stud. Goto:members.tripod.com/gunpartsearch/index.html

What you are looking for is about 3/4 of the way down the page. Look for a section calle stocks, then barrel and then barrel bands. I hope this helps.

shooter22

Edited by: shooter22 at: 10/25/01 4:12:10 am

drsck
    (10/26/01 8:55:30 pm)
    Dear Mr. Shooter: Thanks for the help. I just dropped him a note asking about the Berthier part and another one, a butt stock for a Smith & Wesson 916 shotgun. Thanks again -- Steve