Browning Auto5 12 Gauge Magnum recoil spring

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CGooden, Oct 19, 2009.

1. CGooden

CGooden New Member

I recently inherited a Browning Auto-5 12 Gauge Magnum fom my father. The gun as near as I can tell if from the early '50's. So far I have fired a few rounds with it and am surprised at the recoil it has, almost knocked me on my ass!

As I was cleaning it, I noticed it has two recoil springs, one inserted into the other. I am wondering if this is correct since all of the pictures on the internet, and manuals only show one spring.

Also can some one tell me the difference in size of the recoil spring for the Auto-5 12 Guage MAGNUM and the non-magnum version. I am wondering if someone used two springs for the non-magnum version for some unknown reason.

Is it possible to get new recoil spring and friction rings for the magnum version?
  2. Sandman

Sandman New Member

I have never heard of two springs. My magnum 20 only has one spring. The recoil for 3" magnum loads vs. 2-3/4" loads is controlled with a set of friction rings. You use 3 of the rings for 2-3/4" and all five rings for 3" loads. It sounds to me like someone modified yours.

I would think it would not be too hard to get replacement spring and rings. There are still a lot of A-5's in service out there.
  3. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  4. CGooden

CGooden New Member

The only number that I am finding on this A5 is just above the loading port on the underside of the gun. The numbers are:

9V

Is this the serial number? This doesn't seem to match the link that was provided to date my Browning. There is "made in Belguim" on the barrel too.
  5. CGooden

CGooden New Member

I am going to try to order a recoil spring from Browning, can anyone tell me if Browning part number B1111375 is the correct part? This number is in the Browning 2008 price list.

The manual I received from Browning identifies the part as PO11375.