Browning BLR misfire

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Birdman, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Birdman

Birdman New Member

Let's try this again in the right forum.

I purchased a new BLR 300 wsm Pistol Grip and I love it. Groups are all I can ask for and or capable of. Just one minor glitch, out of 25 rounds (reloads)
    with the Barnes Tripple schocks I had one misfire (little ding in the primer)
    and two that the trigger did not engage the sear (trigger pulled all the way back without fireing) I did however shoot 50 rounds of Ballistic Tips factory loads without a failure. The brass we used for the reloads were shot once. We did not check for size, didn"t think we had to after only one load.
    Any thing more I should check for or be aware of???

Birdman
  2. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

Birdman, Welcome to TFF.

I'm a BLR owner owner and shooter, but I'm not cercertified to work on them. That said your problem sounds like it could be 1 of 2 things. The light primer strike sounds like may some grease or something in the bolt. The ones where the sear would not engage sounds like the bolt wasn't all the way home.

Did you shoot factory ammo OK? Was your problem with just that 1 run of ammo? The answers should tell you if the problem is with the gun or the ammo. There is no authorize take down of the BLR. So if it is a gun problem it will have to go to Browning or a authorize gunsmith.

Sorry I could not help more. Maybe one of TFF gunsmiths can give beter help.
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I have a BLR Lightning in .30-06 that has never misfired.

However, I know of another that had a couple problems with reloads. Turned out in that case that the person reloading was not completely resizing the cases when reloading. After that step was done with more care, he has never had any problems, either.

I would think that a minor adjustment to the trigger mechanizm might help. There are others here who might be more knowledgable than I and I am sure they will be along to assist.

Good luck. It is a fine rifle and by far my favorite.
  4. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Interesting.
    I've owned two BLRs in .308 that never missfired or otherwise acted up in any manor. One was "B" made and the other "J" made. I also handloaded extensively for both of them and used only a LEE Target Handloader for them. This only neck resizes so of course the cases were never used in any other weapons other than the one they were fired in. Like I said though, never a bit of a problem.
  5. Birdman

Birdman New Member

Thanks folks,
    Looks like the problem is resizing the reloads. Love this rifle!! Must be very careful reloding. My factory loads had no problems.

Birdman
  6. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Interesting conclusion I must say.

Little ding in the primer? Doesn't sound like an ammo problem. Sounds more like a firing pin problem to me.

Once again, doesn't sound like an ammo problem to me either. Sounds more mechanical in nature.

In my above post you may have noticed that I had no problems with two BLRs using neck resized ammo.

Am I misssing an angle here?

To Ad: Angle? With the rotating bolt head on the BLR it's hard to picture it not closing all the way without noticing it. Are you saying that this is happening due to the overall cartridge length being too long and messing up the action?
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2006